Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

My Device: Not Specified

HTML table display in email

Hi,

I've been developing mailing lists for my employer, which typically contain lots of tabular data.

On all other mobile devices I've tested on (iphone 3 and 4, various androids, ipad, etc) the table dimensions are honoured, but not on any of the blackberries we have available.

Trying to find a solution, I've found there's a number of different views available for the blackberry - "Column view" and "Page view".  I tried adding <meta name="HandheldFriendly" content="False"/> to force it to use the "Page View" however this doesn't seem to apply to the email client.

The "Column View" renders to absolute nonsense.

Is there anyway to get the blackberry to behave and render the content as instructed? (i.e. I've followed the HTML spec, so what can I put in the page to instruct the blackberry to do so)

This is desperately frustrating as the design is fixed, implemented and has been tested on umpteen devices, all of which work perfectly.  The project is now on hold while the powers that be consider the cost of redesigning a large number of mailing list templates solely to suit the peculiarities of blackberries.

Any advice on solving this without redesigning everything would be very gratefully received.

thanks.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800

Re: HTML table display in email

Hi,

I have the same problem than you. When I send HTML table by e-mail the layout is completely wrong.

I've tried the same meta tags as you and even to fix explicitely all the width of my cells but nothing works.

Did you find any tricks to handle this blackberry particularity ?

Thanks in advance.
Retired
My Device: Bold

Hey guys,

What versions of the OS are you testing this on?

Does it render differently in the browser vs the email app?

1.Please resolve your thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the post which solved your problem!
2. If any post helps you please click the button below the post(s)
Contributor
My Device: torch 9800

I am using MailTo on BB OS6 and it does not even format html at all, let alone poorly. On the iOS email client and sends out perfect tables etc.

How are you supposed to format html for email in the BB?  Does BB OS6 not support MailTo?

Developer

Sorry to not answer before and thanks to try to help me.

After few days of boring and unsuccessfull test, I have finally chosen an other solution : I send my table as an image encoded in base64 integrated in a multipart e-mail. It seems that the e-mail client does not well render HTML tables.

I do not know the OS version but my client said he uses a Bold 9700 so it's, at most, an OS v5.

Developer

Sorry, jeffheifetz, I forgot a detail : Yes the table renders differently in the browser (it's ok then) and in the e-mail client (not good)... That's why I don't understand !

Retired
My Device: Bold

Thanks for the updates. I'm happy you found a workaround, it sounds like a good one since images should always render perfectly.

As per MailTo, I'm not 100% sure what you are referring to as I assume its not the protocol. Can you give me a little context?

1.Please resolve your thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the post which solved your problem!
2. If any post helps you please click the button below the post(s)
Contributor
My Device: torch 9800

I am using HTML MailTo as the means to create an email message. But if I embed HTML content into the body the BB email application does not render it. It just shows the HTML tags.  Other platforms render the HTML. 

I checked my Torch and the email HTML option is clicked on.

Visitor
My Device: Bold 9930

Jeff,

It's two years later, 2 OS upgrades and latest model Bold 9930 - I can report little or no progress on this by Blackberry. I am a developer at a company supplying a software pacakge to a large Fortune 100 company. Our application sends an e-mail with HTML table in it with an attachment that is an HTML file containing a report (also HTML tables). Each section of the report is an HTML table. Only formatting commands like <b> work. Simple table tags with tr and td - no fancy CSS or Javascript do not work. Break tags do not work. Horizontal rule tags do not work.

After studying this a while I determined that there are two ways to view the attachment, “Open Attachment” and “Download Attachment”. If you “Open attachment” you get a mostly plaintext display, i.e. no tables. If you “Download Attachment”, you have to go through some hassles about where to store the file, overwrite or rename the file, but after that when you finally get it downloaded it opens and now it recognizes the HTML table and displays it. But when you go through e-mails and click on a different e-mail, now you have to contend with the downloading and renaming files again.

Converting the report to a JPG file is not accetable due to the length of the report - for ease of viewing and time to download it.

Other clients we have that use iPhone and Android as corporate devices have no troubles at all, just those using Blackberry's. We don't need a workaround, we need a real solution (besides having them switch corporately to another phone platform) to display simple e-mail attachments with simple HTML. Not sure why you don't just launch in the web browser directly vs. the attachment viewer.

Is there someone at Blackberry I can discuss this with or should I have our client open a support case?

Thanks, Rob

My Device: Blackberry Bold

Does anybody know if there is a fix for this yet?

I am having issues, getting tables to wrap as per the standard responsive email technquies as discribed here http://templates.mailchimp.com/development/responsive-email/responsive-column-layouts/ 

It appears that Blackberry Email client is not suitable for responsive design, Could someone point me towards any articles or documentation from Blackberry regarding this?