Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
cufarmer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Cricket
Accepted Solution

HTML5 game development- I need direction.

I am about to embarck on a project for the PlayBook.

I plan to make a two (or more) player trivia game and seem to be lost in coding H3LL!

Basically, my game will be a series of seperate screens (episodes, chapters, etc..), although most will use the same background.

• I need to be able to animate the text to some degree and will have a count down clock/score.
  • At some point, there will be a need for input more than just "A, B, C, or D", although it would amount to not much more than a string.
  • there will sometimes be more than one audio clip playing simultaneously (can I do this?), for example: ambient audio and audio response to input.
  • Occasionally, an image will be transformed.

My question is this: Keeping the whole thing as simple as possible, should I be using Canvas? Flash? or HTML and JS? I am a nood to coding past the occasional web page and are currently learning the basics of javascript. HELP!

Please use plain text.
Developer
nunodonato
My Device: Curve 9360, Playbook, BB10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: TMN

Re: HTML5 game development- I need direction.

Hi there
It really depends a lot on what kind of graphics and interactions You want to have in the game.
By your short explanation, you could just use simples JS and Jquery :smileyhappy:
Check my post that contains a list of JS toolkits you can use. (its a sticky)
For animations you can check out Alice.js. I don't think you have a problem with simultaneous audio, but there are toolkits for that too.

Cheers
Nuno
theBBthing.wordpress.com - my BlackBerry development blog: news, tips and tutorials
bitoutsidethebox.com - re-imagining digital solutions

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cufarmer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Cricket

That is an excellent source! Thank you.

So far, I have outlined my sample app. Upon launching application, a menu page appears. This page simple allows the user(s) to input their persona/name if they like (else, player 1 and player 2). the option to continue game or new game.

The next screen is the level intro screen. This is where I'll have an ambient background sound and a narrator responding to input  for a category option. Here, I do not want static text. This screen seems simple enough and would be a template as well.

The next screen is the actual trivia. On this screen, there may be multiple layers of audio, starting and stopping at different times.

The narrator needs to finish the actual trivia question before the possible answers appear. 

What is the simplest way to have the question appear one character at a time?

Please use plain text.
Developer
nunodonato
My Device: Curve 9360, Playbook, BB10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: TMN

If you have complex audio, I suggest you use a toolkit to take care of it, will probably save you some troubles :smileyhappy:

To have a question appear one char at a time? I guess a simple javascript function could take care of that, but if you end up using some other animation toolkit maybe you can find that also :smileyhappy:
Nuno
theBBthing.wordpress.com - my BlackBerry development blog: news, tips and tutorials
bitoutsidethebox.com - re-imagining digital solutions

Please use plain text.