Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
rrc1962
My Device: Not Specified

HTTP Streaming Video to BB

Does any one know if the BB, particularly the storm, supports any form of embedded video.  If so, what format and/or embedded media player works in the BB browser?

Thanks

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: HTTP Streaming Video to BB

no embed media available in the BlackBerry Browser.
If media is supported, the Browser will call the Media Manager to play the file.

On the third party BOLT browser, I have read that there is partial embed support, but I cannot be more specific.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Developer
rrc1962

That's too bad.  I have lots of DVD movies ripped for the Storm and I'd like to put them online instead of loading them to the media card.  Problem is that Verizon has a size limit on downloads so I can't download a movie file.  Even if I could, I'm not sure I'd want to wait for a 300MB file.  Streaming is the answer, but I can't afford or justify paying for a streaming server.  Embedded content is not true streaming, but it's a suitable substitution in most cases....and it's free.
Guru I
Xandrex

rrc1962 wrote:
Problem is that Verizon has a size limit on downloads so I can't download a movie file.  Even if I could, I'm not sure I'd want to wait for a 300MB file.  Streaming is the answer, but I can't afford or justify paying for a streaming server

first thing : streaming or download, it's the same amount of data transfered from the server to your device. In both cases it's 300MB, plus a few more MB if you do the streaming (CRC controls).

second things : you can upload on Youtube and use Youtube as the streaming server.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Guru I
Xandrex

[ Edited ]
Message Edited by Xandrex on 06-05-2009 01:53 PM

Developer
rrc1962

Youtube has a 10 minute length limit.  Won't work for full length movie files.
New Developer
MJLEnterprises

Just thought I'd let you know if you havn't found it yet Apple has an open source rtsp server available called Darwin Streaming Server. Other than that. I could only suggest cutting your movie into parts and uploading to youtube, but I'm almost certain the quality will not be that great.
Guru I
Xandrex

rrc1962 wrote:
Youtube has a 10 minute length limit.  Won't work for full length movie files.
If I recall correctly, Youtube has just upgraded the limits for the videos : now you can upload a 2GB video.
unfortunately, the time limit is always 10minutes.