Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
Sri_yk
My Device: Blackberry Torch

HTTPS secure connection issue in Playbook using webworks

Hi All,

I am facing issue accessing our server's through secure connection(HTTPS)

When we tested in Ripple Emulator, everything is working fine, but when we test the same in playbook, the request doesn't reach server.

We tried url in Playbook browser, we are getting a pop in which we can allow certificate, but the same pop is not coming when we are trying in app.

In Config file we have specified below parameter to access the websites

<access uri ="*"/>

-Sri

Please use plain text.
Retired
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: HTTPS secure connection issue in Playbook using webworks

It sounds like the certificate is invalid.  The browser application itself has a feature to allow you to manage new requests for certificates.  WebWorks applications do not.  I expect what is happening is a connection failure.

To fix this, you must have a valid SSL certificate.

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Sri_yk

Hi,

Thank you for reply,  as per blackberry documentation, if certificate is invalid, then browser will prompt with options like 1. Continue 2. Stop 3. View Certificate, if user selects continue, the certificate will be added and the rest works fine.

Same is happening in Playbook browser, it is popping up the options and if i select continue it is working fine.

But when i open the link in webworks project, it won't pop this options, is there any propery in config file, to configure for showing this type of pop ups

Thank you,

Sri...

Please use plain text.
Retired
astanley

>> is there any propery in config file, to configure for showing this type of pop ups

No there is not.  WebWorks does not support invalid certificates. There is no prompt, like there is in the browser.

You will need to ensure the SSL certificate is valid, otherwise you will be unable to access this content from inside a WebWorks application.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Sri_yk

Hi,

We got the certificate from 3rd party “GoDaddy.com”

It is a valid certificate only , website link which we are using: https://www.myplex.tv/login.action

Is the error coming because of the vendor certificate not in the trusted certificates?

Is there any work around for this, as to make our application work it has to go through https?

Thanks & Regards

Srikanth

Please use plain text.
Retired
astanley

Open the PlayBook options screen and select the "Security" tab.  From there choose "Certificates" and check to see if the certificate for your myplex.tv site is recognized.  If there is an error, you can try resolving it.

One suggestion could be to launch the browser from your WW app to the target page (use blackberry.invoke.BrowserArguments API)?  I have not tried this myself, so cannot say if this will in fact work.  However it may allow the user to accept a new certificate which is then saved to the Tablet OS certificates store.  Once this is in place, I wonder if you can then access the SSL content from within your WebWOrks app (may require an app-restart though).

Please use plain text.