Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
jetcat33
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: AT&T

Help! Blackberry-deploy failure 801 (is my .bar too large at 35MB?)

[ Edited ]

I have an existing app in AppWorld (TouchTax) created as an android application. I've converted the application to a more PlayBook-friendly WebWorks application.  It works wonderfully on my PlayBook when I test it.  The application includes around 7,000 html files.  When I test the application, I keep only 10 or 20 html files (to speed up the .bar preparation and transfer).  Now, for the final test, I want to include all 7,000 html files.  The resulting .bar file in my build folder is about 35MB.

When I run:

blackberry-tablet-sdk/bin/blackberry-deploy -installApp -password 123pass -device 169.254.1.1 -package TouchTax.bar

I get the following error:

Info: Sending request: Install
Info: Action: Install
Info: File size: 35488477
Info: Installing ...
Info: Processing 35488477 bytes
actual_dname::
actual_id::
actual_version::
result::failure 801 META-INF/RDK.SF: SF file too large

What does the "SF file too large" error mean and how do I fix this?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jetcat33

Re: Help! Blackberry-deploy failure 801 (is my .bar too large at 35MB?)

Sorry, a follow up question. What does the RDK.SF file do? Does it contain a list of app files? If so, what is the maximum number of files a PlayBook app may have?

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
LBP
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 LE Z10 (red)
My Carrier: none

I do not really know if there is a max. number of files you can package, but if so it would be really bad, isn't it? Since you are getting those output when the install request is done it seems it couldn't be installed but it is build+packaged so you could try something else to install the app, my be the BlackBerry GraphicalAid to deploy the app to your device. If this also fails there could be an issue with the installer in PB OS on the device and I would recommend to file a bug report to the github repo to stay connected with the developers directly.

For the RDK.SF open your .bar file and have a closer look at it, should work using any archive software like WinRar or something else. In the META-INF folder there is the RDK.SF you can have a closer look using a text editor. It includes the SHA-512-Digest of all your files I think.

"Like" if you liked the post.
"Accept as Solution" if the post solves your question.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jetcat33

Thanks for your suggestions. I ran it now with the Graphical Aid and got the same error.  I've submitted a bug:

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/TABLET-668

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
LBP

If no one is responding to your submitted report, like for mine referring to BB10 platform/device, you might also try to file the bug report to the WebWorks github repo for Tablet. Most times the devs there might respond little bit faster to requests.

BTW: I do not really understand why, but I can not view your issue report on Jira Tracker. Same I run into for some other things in the past. RIM needs to assign someone to the issue before, I think, and then it might be open to others to add comments or just to confirm the issue what is way to bad for devs like use, isn't it?!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jetcat33

That sounds like a good idea.

Btw, I think my problem comes up only if RDK.SF is larger than 1 MB.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
LBP

So you might report that and I think they will respond to any filed issue very soon since it sounds like an issue that needs to be fixed really fast, isn't it?!!

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

I've escalated to get you an answer.  I wasn't aware of any such limit, however it may in fact be there. Either way, I'll try to get more information for you.

The BAR file is definitely not too large.  35 Mb is certainly a fine amount.  However the number of separate resources listed in the Manifest file may be too many.

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

What version of the WebWorks SDK for BB10 are you using?  An update was published today. Please try upgrading.  I spoke with msohm who indicated there used to be a limitation but has since been updated to much larger than 1Mb.

Another option is to reduce the size of your file paths?  Shorten filenames (if possible) or reduce the length of folders & subfolder names.  This change will drastically reduce the size of your RDK.SF file.

Thanks to msohm for this tip.

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jetcat33

Thank you very much for your followup. I will try to download the updated SDK tomorrow and report back later in the week. :Rockon:

Please use plain text.