Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
homecoder
My Device: Not Specified

Help for Noob (mostly looking for advice then reading material)

Hello Everyone,

I am new to BB Development, in fact I have written nothing for it.  I have Java knowledge but very little to none practical.  So I am just looking for advice on where to start reading.

I am a PHP Developer by trade, but am developing an application which would benefit greatly to be available on the blackberry.

Although at this time I can't say what it's for (its a new idea from what I know), however it would require the following:

1) Expect a user to log in (no registration needed)

2) Take a user input (a number, for arguments sake)

3) Return data about this number to the user, maybe 30-60 bytes of data

4) Take input back based on that data (10 bytes at most)

Effectively, what I am wondering is - is it better to develop a web application (which would have MORE data transmitted as the prompts, etc would have to be transmitted as well) or to develop an application that sits on the blackberry? I ask as it would be a simple app, with a simple UI.

I know that the application would be quite simple, looking at the GPS Example(s) found on the internet they post values to a web server, so I am sure I can adapt that knowledge. 

Keeping the Data Transmission low is important as this process may be done a few hundred times by the user.

Thanks in advance for any assistance that anyone can provide, and upon diving into this, I look forward to developing more complex projects and hopefully, returning the assistnace to another user.

Regards,

Michael (homecoder)

Please use plain text.