Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
zelaza
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9530
My Carrier: Verizon

Help from Blackberry Development Advisor, please

Can anyone from RIM tell me if it is possible to embed a video (e.g. MP4) into an HTML page (e.g. using the <OBJECT /> tag) in such a way that a Blackberry (e.g. Storm) will play it?

The RIM documentation leads one to believe that the Blackberry 5.0 browser support the <OBJECT /> tag, but it doesn't seem to be the case, at least not for video.

A response from someone who works for RIM would be appreciated.

- zelaza
Please use plain text.
Administrator
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Help from Blackberry Development Advisor, please

HI Zelaza,

Feel free to ask support questions to anyone from our BlackBerry development community.  We are priveledged to have many highly skilled individuals helping out in providing support for BlackBerry Web and Widget development.

In regards to your question, yes it is possible to embed an MP4 video in your web content.  Here is an example of how the OBJECT tag should be formatted to allow the browser application to recognize the embedded media:

<object border="0" type"video/mp4" data="Sample.mp4" height="300px"/>

Sincerely,

Adam

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
zelaza

Hi Adam.  Thanks for the response.  I've been doing some research since I submitted this, and my conclusion so far is that the "Blackberry Browser" does not support the OBJECT tag as you describe, but the "Internet Browser" does.  Questions:

1.  Can you confirm (or deny) the above conclusion

2.  What is the difference between the "Blackberry Browser" and the "Internet Browser"?

3. My Blackberry Storm (from Verizon) came from the store configured to use the Blackberry Browser.  I had to re-configure it to use the Internet Browser.  Is this the typical scenario?  (If so, then most Blackberry users will not be able to play videos embedded in web pages, correct?).

Thanks.

- zelaza
Please use plain text.
Contributor
zelaza

Adam,

Can someone (anyone) provide a working example of a web page containing an embedded video object that will actually play (not download) on a Blackberry browser?  So far I have not been able to find or create one.

The problem is not just creating the OBJECT tag, but getting the video to play in the browser.

I mean, does the thing really even support playing embedded video?  Has anyone at RIM every tested it?  Can anyone provide a working example?

This is really driving me crazy. 

- zelaza
Please use plain text.
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

In reply to one of your questions, the difference between "BlackBerry Browser" and "Internet Browser" is that the "BlackBerry Browser" uses your corporate network connection and BES, whereas the "Internet Browser" uses the public MDS service. If something works via the "Internet Browser" but not the "BlackBerry Browser" it is probably because your corporate BES/MDS is munging the data somehow. In terms of what the general public will use, people who are not on a corporate BES will likely be using "Internet Browser" by default.

Here is a video that explains what all this means: http://www.blackberry.com/DevMediaLibrary/view.do?name=diffbrowsertypes

Please use plain text.
Contributor
zelaza

Thank you, staktrace.  I'm quite certain Verizon is not munging the data... But, in any case, the real question is: is it possible to get an embedded video to play in EITHER Blackberry browser.  Given that nobody from RIM or otherwise has been able to provide a working solution to that question, I'm starting to believe that the answer, shockingly, is "no"....

So I guess I'll ask again:

CAN ANYONE FROM RIM GIVE US AN EXAMPLE OF A WEB PAGE AND VIDEO FILE THAT WILL PLAY (NOT DOWNLOAD) IN A BLACKBERRY BROWSER?

This may be too much to hope for, but what the heck:

CAN ANYONE FROM RIM GIVE US A LIST OF VIDEO FILE AND MEDIA TYPES (VIDEOS CODECS, FRAME SIZES, FPS, BIT RATES, AUDIO CODECS, AUDIO BIT RATES) THAT WILL ACTULLY PLAY DIRECTLY FROM THE BLACKBERRY BROWSER?

Note: the answer to the above question is NOT the list of file and media types that will play from Blackberry local storage.  The two are vastly different.

I'd even settle for:

CAN ANYONE FROM RIM CONFIRM THAT IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO DIRECTLY IN THE BLACKBERRY BROWSER?

- zelaza
Please use plain text.