Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
abrahamtspl
My Device: Not Specified

Help on developing Browser Application

I am new to BlackBerry. I want to create a simple browser application and test the same on the BB device. Can anyone help me with the initial steps and the softwares required for development and testing? I had already gone through the Blackberry website. I understand from the website that I would just require MDS / Device Simulators for testing the applications I had developed. I need to know which tool I use to develop, where to deploy and how to test the application. This is very urgent. Please help !!!
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: Help on developing Browser Application

I suggest you to take the time to go here :
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/started/

and red every link. There is even a step-by-step to create a hello world application...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

What tools are you using to build your web application?... Eclipse, Visual Studio.. etc.
Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Developer
abrahamtspl

I have been using Eclipse IDE for developing the web application.I have installed the Eclipse plugin for Blackberry as well. I really want help on where to deploy and how to test the developed application. I do not have BES installed. So what are the other ways to deploy my application.
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

We should have some BETA tooling to help you out in a couple of weeks.  Just like the plug-in for Visual Studio for web development, we have an Eclipse plug-in for web development due out very soon.  You should be sure to check out the BETA section of the developer zone over the next week or so to see when it goes live

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/devbetasoftware/devbeta.jsp

I will be sure to post here as well when it is up.

Also to get started testing your website now, you will just need to download the appropriate BlackBerry smartphone simulator and then also download and run the MDS-CS simulator that will provide network connectivity. 

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/resources/simulators.jsp

Then publish your website to a local, or remote, web server and run the simulators to connect to that website and launch the browser to your URL.  Until the BETA for the Eclipse plug-in for web development is available, you will be left with good old Alert boxes to track down any bugs.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Developer
abrahamtspl

I have downloaded the blackberry simulator 4.2.1 and the BlackBerry Email and MDS Services Simulator 4.1.4. I cannot find the MDS-CS as a seperate download in the BB site. I tried testing my application which is running in local Tomcat Web Server. Usin the Web Icon example provided in the BB site, I tried passing the url location of my application and it worked fine. But when I tried typing my application url directly using the httpDemo application available in the Simulator, it shows a 404 error. Can you suggest any other way to test my application directly by specifying the url? Also let me know if the set up I am working/testing my app is OK or not?
Please use plain text.