Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
zambi
My Device: Not Specified

Help understand flow

Hello Everyone,

Thank You for responding to my previous query.

Could any one please help me understand the data flow for web application which can be access from blackberry?

Here is the scenario:

There are three entities:

A. Service Provider (who developed the application)
B. Client (who is using the services by service provider)
C. End User (people from Client)

The Web Application resides on Service Provider's Web Server, so now my questions are:

Q1. When the END USER accesses any page from the web application, will the request first hit the CLIENT server OR will the request directly hit the SERVICE PROVIDER server?

Q2. What are the scenarios when the request might route through the CLIENT server?

Q3. What are the scenarios when the request will directly hit SERVICE PROVIDER server?

I would appreciate if some one could explain it to me. Thanking in anticipation.

- Zambi

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
mweitzel

Re: Help understand flow

The answer to this question really depends on the server and device setup of your client, also it can depend on the carrier configuration. A device that is connected to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) will have a default browser configuration which uses the BES as the Internet gateway, i.e. browsing traffic will go through the BES and break-out to the Internet from there. You can check the default browser configuration by going into Options -> Advanced Options -> Browser. If that says "BlackBerry Browser" than all the browsing traffic goes through the BES. Other options for this might be "Internet Browser" or "Hotspot Browser" in which cases the traffic does not go through the BES, not all carrier and/or devices offer these options though. Also most carriers also offer a WAP browser which breaks out to the Internet at the carrier operated WAP gateway (the name for this varies by carrier).

Have a look at the following page which explains the different browser types that are available for BlackBerry: http://www.blackberry.com/DevMediaLibrary/view.do?name=diffbrowsertypes 

Please use plain text.
New Developer
zambi

Re: Help understand flow

Thank You for replying my post. I appreciate it.
Please use plain text.