Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: BB Torch
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

How Secure is Our Code from Reverse Engineering?

[ Edited ]

Is it possible for someone to retrieve/reverse engineer the JS source code for our apps? When the BAR file is loaded on a user's BB, does the OS simply unpack the contents as html/css/js and run it as it were from a web browser or are the source codes actually encrypted during the packaging/compiling process? I'm wondering because our new app contains a special algorithm from a research project converted to Javascript and whether it is necessary to obfuscate the code or go with developing a native BB app instead.

Retired
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Virgin

Re: How Secure is Our Code from Reverse Engineering?

The code will be run in the webview, it will be run as a normal un-ofuscated JS file.

Yes, the OS simply unpacks the contents of the bar file, but users will have a diffucult time getting access to these source files since your application is installed without their ability to access that part of the file system by default. If this is highly sensitive information, I would look into a native application, unless you are happy with an obfuscation process that you can run yourself.

@erikjohnzon
erjohnson@blackberry.com
Contributor
My Device: BB Torch
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

Got it. Thanks for the info, Erik!

So now we'll keep using Webworks for our other apps but will develop a native app for this one project.

Highlighted
Retired
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Virgin

I think that is prudent Smiley Happy.

@erikjohnzon
erjohnson@blackberry.com