Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
New Developer
toj
My Device: Not Specified

How can I compile a standalone web app that can be downloaded and is OS v4.6.x compliant

I am new to blackberry development and I am having trouble getting started. I want to develop a standalone web application that gets downloaded and installed on the Blackberry device and it needs to be OS v4.6.x compliant. I am a .net developer, so I will be using the Visual Studio plug-in.

I downloaded the VS plug-in 1.2 and created a Hello World App which I can view in the blackberry browser using the blackberry simulators 8330/9000/9700/9500. However, I would like to know how I can compile the application into a java program that can be loaded onto the simulator as I can’t use Widgets because they are compatible with OS 5.0 or higher.

I have also downloaded and installed version 2.0 beta 1 on a separate machine and played around with a simple Hello World Widgets which works on the BB 9500 simulator. However, on the 9700 simulator I get the error message “verification error 190 offset 029d” Does anyone know why?

Lastly, can anyone point me to where I can find some tutorials and resources to get started?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: How can I compile a standalone web app that can be downloaded and is OS v4.6.x compliant

Hi There,

The 9700 simulator is giving that error because it was a very early beta version of the 5.0 environment.  A newer version of the 9700 simulator will be posted shortly.

Some great resources for web development are in the video section:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/resources/videolibrary.jsp#tab_tab_browser

An alternative to widgets on 4.6 would be a web icon.  It will have an icon on the users homescreen an when they click it, it will launch your website in the BlackBerry Browser.

http://www.blackberry.com/DevMediaLibrary/view.do?name=WebIcon 

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Developer
New Developer
toj

Re: How can I compile a standalone web app that can be downloaded and is OS v4.6.x compliant

Thanks Tim. The web icon method you suggested launches the specified website in the browser but I want the files to reside on the device not an external website. Is this possible using web icons? Alternatively, is there any tool I can use to compile and output a .jad and .cod file(s) which can then be downloaded - much in the same way widgets work?
Please use plain text.
tneil

It is possible to package an application on 4.6 in a similar way that we are doing for 5.0 widgets.

- it would be using the 4.5 browser rendering engine since the BrowserField object that is available on operating systems prior to 5.0  uses the old renderer and not the new one.  So you would not get the rendering, DHTML, CSS, JavaScript enhancements that you see in the 4.6 BlackBerry Browser.  

- You wouldn't be able to have JavaScript extensions like we have in the 5.0 widget framework.

If you do want to tackle this type of project, you could take the source code found in the "device_templates" directory of the widget SDK and try to back port the functionality to 4.6

It would definitely be limited in functionality, but possible to make something similar

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Developer
New Developer
toj

Thanks for your suggestion Tim, but it is a lot more than I am capable of doing at the moment. I was hoping for a simpler solution.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dejite
My Device: Blackberry Curv 8900
My Carrier: MTN Nigeria

Hi,

I had already developed my widget fully and its working well on the simulators. I have spent too much time on it and i don't want to re-develop using java.

Please I need to find a way to make this widget run on the 4.6 operating system

You said

if you do want to tackle this type of project, you could take the source code found in the "device_templates" directory of the widget SDK and try to back port the functionality to 4.6,

I do not quite understand what this means.

When I opened the folder, i did not see any particular source code. I found other folders instead.

Please help.

Please use plain text.
tneil

Hi dejite,

The source code still relies on the 5.0 OS pieces.  In order to back port the code you would need to replicate your functionality in Java.  There is no getting around this.

Is the 4.6 device you are looking to use a Bold?  If so the Bold 9000 will upgrade to 5.0.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dejite
My Device: Blackberry Curv 8900
My Carrier: MTN Nigeria

Mine is a curve 8900. But I really want it to work on most models so that others too can use the application.

can you please put me through how to replicate the application in java?

I'm a quite experienced developer so i will understand.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
tneil

Hi dejite,

I have responded to your private message :smileyhappy:

Cheers

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.