Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
farmiloe
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

How do you open an .exe file on a Mac?

I'm a first time developer trying to use WebWorks to develop Playbook apps on a Mac.  Right now I've successfully launched the Playbook simulator using VMware Fusion, and was able to get my IP address.  The next step is to launch the "Hello World" app, as discussed in this webinar: http://webcast.streamlogics.com/audience/auditorium/index.asp

Now I'm stuck at launching the bbwp.exe file, because apparently Macs can't open exe files.  It looks like you need a command prompt to navigate to the WebWorks SDK installation folder. (As discussed at 43:31 in the aforementioned webinar)

Does anyone have a way to solve this step, where there is a command line tool available on a Mac? 

Please use plain text.
Developer
ChanneledDan
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: How do you open an .exe file on a Mac?

You can't use a .exe on a Mac. In the same folder there should be a "bbwp.exe" and "bbwp" (with no extention). Use the latter when on a Mac.

--------------------------------------
PlayBook Apps: EveryDay Converter
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dougneiner
My Carrier: AT&T

Hey farmiloe! The app you are looking for is called Terminal. (Its in Applications > Utilities). Once you open it up, you can navigate to the directory using a combination of "ls" and "cd". Basically, if you installed it to your user directory, you might just be able to run "cd bbpw". Use "ls" to see which directories are available, "cd" to change into the directory, and "cd .." to go up one level.

Also, ChanneledDan is right, you'll need to use the `bbwp` without the extension.

Doug Neiner - Official jQuery Team Member, Senior Designer at appendTo
http://dougneiner.com | @dougneiner
Please use plain text.
Developer
ChanneledDan
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Rogers

Yes, you should be comfortable using the Terminal on your Mac. When you 'cd' into the bbwp folder (the one with, among other things, the bbwp and bbwp.exe) you run bbwp by the following command:

./bbwp (location of zip archive)

To make it easier, just type:

./bbwp and then from Finder just drag your zip archive onto the Terminal window and it'll fill in the address to the location of the zip file for you.

Let us know if you need more help.

--------------------------------------
PlayBook Apps: EveryDay Converter
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
farmiloe
My Carrier: Verizon

Thanks guys! Terminal is the solution I was looking for.  For any other first time developers using Terminal for the first time, I found this page to be helpful as well: http://guides.macrumors.com/Terminal. 

Please use plain text.