Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

WS1
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

How to Download and Install Ripple Emulator Signed App from a Website

I have successfully packaged and sign my application using Ripple Emulator. After the packaging and signing process completed three directories were created in my assigned output directory. The directories are listed below:

OTAInstall

StandardInstall

ApplicationNameDirectory

In the OTAInstall directory there are 18 files (files with the following extensions: cod, jad and 1-16.cod)

In the StandardInstall directory there are 4 files (files with the following extensions: alx, cod, csi, cso)

In the ApplicationNameDirectory directory there is a copy of the original application files

My question is which files do I put on my website so visitors can download and install the app on a Blackberry smartphone.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance

WS1

Developer
My Device: Dev Alpha / Playbook / Curve 9300

Re: How to Download and Install Ripple Emulator Signed App from a Website

Good question and maybe the pro's can answer this one.

I can tell you that OTA stands for Over The Air and is what companies used for delivering cell content in the past.  The OTA folder also has the JAD file which contains delivery info.  I have uploaded this folder and deployed using the OTA and JAD.

Haven't figured out what the standard install is for.  Maybe for BB desktop manager to deploy.  Feel free to correct me anyone.

If it helped you, click like. :smileyhappy:
WS1
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. Which file did you link to when you upload the OTA folder? Did you link to the file with the jad extension or the cod extension?

Developer
My Device: Dev Alpha / Playbook / Curve 9300

Well since I am testing with friends I uploaded all to a folder then told them to click on the jad file.  They could see all files though as the folder was browsable.

The jad file contains app and author info and BB will automatically download the cod files when the user clicks on download.  Are you talking about a link in a web page though?  If so see this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7531174/how-to-provide-jad-file-download-link

and

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3725989/providing-jad-file-download-link

If it helped you, click like. :smileyhappy:
WS1
Contributor

Thanks those links help clarify the procedure. I think I have to upload the OTAInstall folder and link to the file with the jad extension. I will have to ask my hosting service to setup the MIME types in IIS for the follow:

.cod

application/vnd.rim.cod

.jad

text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor

.jar

application/java-archive

Anyone have experience setting up files/links to download from a website?

WS1
Contributor

The selected answer to this post worked perfectly and I was able to download the signed app to my Blackberry. I uploaded thOTAInstall folder to my website and pointed the link to the jad file extension file. I was also able to send the link to the file via email and install the app by clicking on the link in the email.

Hope this help anyone faced with the same question.