Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
black_n
Accepted Solution

How to read BB PIN from a web page (JS?)

Hi,

I believe this question was asked multiple times before, however I was unable to find a clear answer. Any help will be truly appreciated!

I am developing mobile web site (not to be confused with BB Widget and/or BB WebWorks app). I'm trying to find a way to read BlackBerry PIN directly on a page. 

After reading BB OS 6.0 JavaScript Reference, I'm still wondering whether it can be accomplished. Reading HTTP header is not an option, as I expect the majority of my visitors are BIS users. 

If it's not possible, can someone from RIM to confirm it? This may completely change my implementation approach.

Thank you in advance.

Nathan.

NB Please do not point me to WebWorks/Widget API - to the best of my understanding I can't use these JS extensions directly on a web page served by browser.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
black_n

Re: How to read BB PIN from a web page (JS?)

Just wanted to add a few thoughts about: I believe it makes a lot of sense from security standpoint to block this type of request UNLESS the app is signed (Java/WebWorks SDK). I am 99.9% sure it's the case (not the technology) - my big thanks go to RIM folks who could confirm/refute my educated guess :smileyhappy:

Nathan

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi Nathan,

The PIN can only be accessed from a WebWorks app via JavaScript.  It can't be accessed directly from the browser for security reasons.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Developer
black_n

Hi Tim,

Thank you very much for your prompt response.

Nathan.

Please use plain text.