Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
Cosmic
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

How to tell if MDS Simulator is running?

I want to use the 9500 simulator to test a website, but I cannot connect to the web.  I runs the MDS Simulator before starting the 9500 SImulator, but it just displays a screenful of messages and then closes the window, so I haven't any idea whether it ran ok or had problems.  Since I can't connect to the web, I imagine that MDS is not running, but not sure how to debug this.  Is there a service I can look for to tell if MDS is running?  Does the MDS Simulator create a log somewhere?

I'm running WIndows 7 -- could there be problems with running the simulators on it?

Finally, since i'm new to this, is there an FAQ somewhere of common coding issues that cause problems for the BlackBerry?  The problem my users are seeing is that they can get to my search page, but nothing happens when they try to issue a search.  It works on other phones.  If I could find a checklist of things to look for, that would be hugely helpful.

Thanks!

Cosmic

Please use plain text.
New Developer
Cosmic

Re: How to tell if MDS Simulator is running?

I can answer part of my question.  The MDS Simulator isn't running if the DOS window doesn't stay open.  What I discovered is that the MDS folder needs to have write permissions for the user running the app.  I found the info here:

http://mobilesandbox.blogspot.com/2009/06/blackberry-mds-simulator.html

After setting the write permissions, I can browse the net, and I can now see the problem on my site.

Now the second part of my question -- is there a list of common coding issues that might cause problems in the browser?  The app in question is an ASP.NET search, and BB users never get a results page.

Please use plain text.
Developer

Please use plain text.
New Developer
Cosmic

Staktrace,

Thanks for that link.  Registering the BB browser configuration file on the server did the trick!!  Thanks so much.

Cosmic

Please use plain text.