Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
chiunyi
My Device: bold9000
Accepted Solution

How to update WebWorks SDK 2.1 for smartphone???

When i download this update SDK on this link:
https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/contactFormPreload.do?code=DC727151E5D55DDE1E950767CF86...
 and install . It's still an old version ( 2.0.0.201103231828-18)  
Have any update site for updating through eclipse??? ,please help : (

Please use plain text.
Developer
ibarrera
My Device: 9100

Re: How to update WebWorks SDK 2.1 for smartphone???

Same question here. And everytime I start eclipse, a message is shown and it says :"a newer version of the blackberry works is available......" and if I folow the link it looks like I have to download everything again.  How can I just update it?

Please use plain text.
Developer
ibarrera

Same question here. And everytime I start eclipse, a message is shown and it says :"a newer version of the blackberry works is available......" and if I folow the link it looks like I have to download everything again.  How can I just update it?

Please use plain text.
Developer
ibarrera

Actually I even can't download the full update from http://us.blackberry.com/developers/browserdev/widgetsdk.jsp Is it something goin on? It's kind of frustrating, I would really need this new APIs.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
chiunyi

it's on maintenance .

Please use plain text.
Contributor
chiunyi

i found this eclipse update site  ---> http://www.blackberry.com/go/eclipseUpdate/3.6/web
but it's still the old version ( BlackBerry WebWorks SDK2.0.0.201103231828-18 )

have any new  update site?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

As outlined in the End Of Life statement and associated blog article, The WebWorks Plug-ins for Visual Studio and Eclipse only support WebWorks SDK 2.0 and lower.  

These plug-in tools will not be updated to support newer versions of the WebWorks SDK.  To use the newer versions of the SDK you will need to use the command line for now, and when Ripple is upgraded you will be able to build and deploy from the emulator.

You will be able to continue to use Eclipse and Visual Studio to build WebWorks applications in the same manner as you would for building a local website.  More details are in the blog post referenced above.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Contributor
deedubbu
My Device: Torch

Its a bit concerning that a working development model is being end of lifed before the replacement is ready.  Seems like the Eclipse/Visual Studio plugins should be supported at least until Ripple is an adequate replacement.  

I appreciate the direction in which the Ripple emulator is moving but I'm concerned about the possiblity of testing custom WebWorks JavaScript extensions within it.  For example, the existing Ripple emulator supports PhoneGap V0.9 as a platform.  However, PhoneGap is currently at 0.9.6 and rappidly updating so its impossible to test new functionality in the Ripple emulator.  Unless the environment is emulating the lower level API's its not clear to me how the Ripple environment can serve as a replacement for existing development environment.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

The WebWorks plug-ins do not provide more support for JavaScript extensions than Ripple does.   The device simulators are what allows you to test your JavaScript extensions which will also be able to be launched by Ripple.  

We are also working on a mechanism where you can emulate your JavaScript extension after you have created it in Ripple.  "Developing" your extension will always require a Simulator so that you can test the underlying Java or ActionScript code.

Ripple's intention is to make it so that you don't have to continually comiple and launch your application in a simulator.  It will provide the same type of environment as developing a website for a desktop browser.  

We are also collaborating with Nitobi to find ways to keep the PhoneGap API up to date in the Ripple emuilator.  Ripple is still in Beta and there's lots of work being done to make sure it will satisfy the community needs.  There are gaps today that we are addressing while it is still in Beta.

We are continuing to provide technical support for the existing Eclipse/Visual Studio plug-ins until the Ripple product covers the same functionality as the plug-ins.

We however are not enhancing the plug-ins during this time period.  Trying to provide backwards compatibility with the plug-ins inhibits our ability to push the product forward with some necessary underlying architectural changes.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Contributor
deedubbu
My Device: Torch

I guess my concern was that eventually it might be necessary for the Eclipse plugin to be updated if the framework, which allows a debug session attached to a simulator to step through JavaScript code running in a WebWorks application, changed.  That and I'll miss the project creation and config.xml editor if that ever breaks.

Please use plain text.