Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
ShaDiv
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Zain
Accepted Solution

How to use <HTMLAppletElement> tag?

Hi, I'm trying to use <HTMLAppletElement> element in my WebWorks project, but I couldn't. Does anyone knows how to use it?

I found the element here, but there was no example.

This is part of my code:

<HTMLAppletElement type="application/x-java-applet" code="HelloWorld.class" alt="Nothing to show" />

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
oros
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: How to use <HTMLAppletElement> tag?

It looks like that tag may have been leftover from the BBOS documentation prior to our uptake of WebKit where we had a proprietary browser implementation.

As noted in the comments of the documentation, that tag has been deprecated.

Likely due to it being a filler for <applet> which is a standard HTML element:
http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_applet.asp

To go even further, HTML5 deprecated <applet> in favour of <object>:
http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_object.asp

My recommendation would be to try with <object> to see if that meets your needs.

If you see issues, can you please confirm the device OS and model you are testing on, as well as the WebWorks SDK version you are packaging with?

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ShaDiv
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Zain

Dear Oros,

Thank you for the reply.

I have tried <applet>, <HTMLAppletElement> and finally I end with <object> tag. But still I have a problem.

I'm using WebWorks version 2.0. I have tried the <object> tag, but it didn't work. I apply it to my device Q10 Blackberry 10.2.1, but it doesn't show anything.

I have tried to use the <object> tag with the normal browser, IE11 and Firefox 28. It seems it will work! The java plugin is loading ... but suddenly it shows me this massege:

"Application Blocked. Click for details

Your security settings have blocked a local application from running"

I want to ask you, what are the mandatory attributes in the <object> tag?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
oros
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Hi there,

I can't speak much for other browser, but I've been digging more into the WebWorks/BlackBerry 10 side of things and I had an oversight earlier.

In order for the <object> element to be able to run a Java Applet, the Java Runtime must be present on the OS; which it is not present on BlackBerry 10. While we support the <object> element in a number of avenues, running Java Applets will not be one of them due to the missing runtime.

On your desktop browsers, where you have the Java Runtime installed, it sounds like there may be some security setting on the browser you'll need to set to allow Java to run, but I'm not sure specifically where that is.

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Please use plain text.