Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
nytrex
My Device: PlayBook (novice developer)
My Carrier: Virgin

IDE and framework for Playbook - suggestions?

I'm new to the BlackBerry and App development scene, but have plenty of experience writing stuff using Visual Basic for Applications.

I've downloaded Webworks and PhoneGap and am looking for a good free IDE and framework that will put me in a good position to learn and develop applications without having to go down to the CLI all the time.

Is Eclipse and good IDE for Playbook development or are there other solutions that I should investigate? Or should I just use Eclipse to build and package, and use something like Notepad++ to develop code with?

I've read loads of articles, blogs and forums, but a lot of the information seems quite old and I'm not sure if they are still relevant. e.g. people still talk about AIR as if its a forward looking platform to develop on.

Can any of you provide me with some pointers on IDE, frameworks and any other advice you think I might need.

I'm not looking to make money with app development - i just want to create stuff that I think others will find useful.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Alan

Please use plain text.
Developer
interfaSys
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

Re: IDE and framework for Playbook - suggestions?

Hello Alan,

For AIR, you would need Adobe's tools or FDT and they are not cheap, but will let you write cross-platform apps/games. Games usually run fine, but I've never been impressed by AIR apps. They always felt sluggish to me, even on the desktop.

If you decide to go the HTML5 route, then, for small projects, Notepad++ may be OK, but you'll soon need more power. Things like autocomplete, libs management, scripting or refactoring will make you release projects faster.

I have tried many IDEs, some Eclipse based, and felt let down by most of the free/cheap ones I have tested.

In the end I went for WebStorm and have never looked back. It's not free, but it's very cheap, especially when they're having promotions.

Give it a try and report back :smileyhappy:. Oh and some of these IDEs are free if you're releasing the source code of your projects :smileywink:

Regarding HTML5 framework, I suggest you take a look at this presentation from RIM:

http://www.blackberryjamworldtour.com/docs/WEB04.pdf

and there is also the BlackBerry only "framework": bbui.js

RIM provides packaging tools, so you wouldn't need any specific environment for that.

I hope that makes sense to you :smileyhappy:

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
nytrex
My Device: PlayBook (novice developer)
My Carrier: Virgin

Thanks for the info. Really is appreciated.

I think I will see how notepad++ goes and download the trial of webstorm and compare the two.

I liek that fact that the BB10 version on Ripple is a Chrome Extension so you can test your far more easily than having to set up a VMWare for the Playbook environment. simplifies everything - and that's what i need!

I'm sure I'll be in touch again as I try and develop some stuff.

Al

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DMA2011
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: none

Also have a look at microsoft visual web developer express version. It's free and has good support for javascript, CSS and HTML editing with error highlighting and formatting - much better than notepad!.  Although the many templates are aimed at producing web sites under the .net framework, you can ignore them and edit and run the code locally.

Please use plain text.