Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

[IMPORTANT] PlayBook WebWorks Notice

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to bring something important to everyone's attention that was posted in the WebWorks Blog Article today.

Reminder to BlackBerry WebWorks SDK for Tablet OS Developers

We have ensured that all BlackBerry WebWorks applications submitted to BlackBerry App World leading up to the release of the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet work properly with the first revision of the BlackBerry Tablet OS. Like any release, when you move from Beta to Gold, we are instructing those who have built BlackBerry PlayBook tablet applications using the Beta BlackBerry WebWorks SDK to please re-package and re-submit your application to BlackBerry App World. This will ensure that you have the latest fixes and enhancements and that your app is compatible with upcoming BlackBerry Tablet OS upgrades.

So you may ask.. what does this mean?

In the Release of the RTM 1.0 PlayBook OS we put off fixing a bug in the System Web View.   The reason we did this, is because the fix to the bug in the Web View in combination with applications built with the WebWorks Beta 3 SDK caused a blank black screen to appear when WebWorks apps ran.  Not so good for all the apps that people submitted to App World Smiley Happy

The plan is that in an upcoming release of the PlayBook OS the System Web View bug fix will go in place, and if you still have an app in App World built with the Beta 3 WebWorks SDK it will have black screen problem.  We have made sure that the WebWorks SDK 2.0 final release has the proper changes in it to ensure that any application packaged with the 2.0 SDK will work great now, and with the upgrated OS

What do you need to do?

To ensure that your application is future proof you will need to ensure that you re-package your application with the WebWorks 2.0 SDK and re-submit it to App World.  Re-packaging with an RTM SDK is always a recommended best practice to ensure that your app has all the latest enhancements and bug fixes.

If you have any questions.. please fire away!!

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
My Device: Z10 and Z30
My Carrier: Play and Plus

Re: [IMPORTANT] PlayBook WebWorks Notice

There is only one problem. I re-packaged my applications with the WebWorks 2.0 SDK and re-submitted them to App World but now they stuck in queue for approvall. Are you going to approve faster that releases to have that new releases updated prior to this update you will provide to Playbook?

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

I am also curious what the current approval turnaround time is.  I just received my approval email from my 1.1 submission on April 7.  I had made sure to get my 1.0 version in on March 23, which was approved on April 4.

What is the estimate for app resubmitted with the RTM?  If everybody does this, won't it be just as long to process?

Also, part of me wants to wait to resubmit until my PlayBook arrives, so I can make sure and test it properly.

Retired

I would encourage everyone to re-package and re-submit.  We are working with the OS team and the App World team on the timing of when the OS change will come out which affect apps built with Beta 3 of the WebWorks SDK.

The sooner you re-package and re-submit the sooner your application will be accepted and future proofed.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
My Device: PlayBook

Thanks for the heads up. This seems like something that may be suited to an email announcement.
Retired

[ Edited ]

Yes, we will be working through our various different channels to send the message out to the community

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
My Device: PlayBook -> 9900, 9810, 9800, 9700,9000, 8800, 8700...
My Carrier: AT&T

Do you have any way of knowing which apps are affected? I ask because of a concern that an earlier poster raised - if there's something in approval queue and submitted before the cutoff (if we get one), how can we ensure that the approvals are processed in time?

Try out BBSSH, a free Blackberry SSH client.
  • If you like my post, please let me know by Liking it!
  • If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button.

Retired

All applications built with WebWorks Beta 3 and submitted to App World will be affected by the upcoming OS change.

The best way to ensure that your application isn't affected is by re-packaging and re-submitting as soon as possible. We are doing everything we can to ensure that the App World team has time to go through these re-submitted apps before the affected OS is released.

We need as much cooperation from the dev community as possible to ensure that the re-packaged apps are sitting in the App World queue ready for review as soon as possible.  

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Bold & Pearl
My Carrier: Telecom NZ

I have built a new compiling VM as I was working in a different city when I last compiled my app. I have noticed that the problem fixed here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-and-WebWorks-Development/PlayBook-Error-Web-Packager-Exce...

is back.

- Ryan

Contributor
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: WIND

Fixed some bugs, repackaged and submitted our app, thanks for the notice