Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
jonberry
My Device: Not Specified

Icon Size for Playbook

I received an email that my webworks app got denied with the following error:

"- no icon after installing application, please make sure to specify a 86x86 icon in a blackberry-tablet.xml file."

I just changed the icon size to 86x86 and resubmitted the app but is that what's really going on here?

The previous app icon displayed and worked in the simulator with no problem.

Please use plain text.
Developer
sergeh
My Device: curve 8900
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Icon Size for Playbook

It probably wasn't displaying correctly, an 86x86 icon will be perfectly aligned with the other icons (ie the browser) anything smaller than that will just be "floating" higher than the other icons.

I had a 72x72 icon before and there was a bigger margin between the icon and the name of the application compared to other apps that were installed.

--
Bitbox
Please use plain text.
Developer
greenback
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, DAC

Thank you for clarifying the icon size requirement.

+1.

Please use plain text.
Developer
sergeh

to clarify, an icon smaller than 86x86 will display correctly (although misaligned) on the 0.9.4 simulator but probably isn't displayed on the actual device

--
Bitbox
Please use plain text.
Developer
jonberry

The original icon I was using was larger - 96x96

Please use plain text.
Developer
sergeh

What I meant to say was that 86x86 (plus the 480x480 for AppWorld) is the only size that seems to be supported for the actual playbook and any smaller sizes are supported on the 0.9.4 simulator.

--
Bitbox
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Jesusjoseph
My Device: Play book
My Carrier: ALL

86*86  file in png format is for the application icon. we need to have in inside the bar file and we need to mentioned the icon in blackberry-icon.xml file. This will be used in the playbook if somebody download the icon.

the other 480 * 480 is used when you first apply the for the new application. They mentioned it as Application icon. I think this is to show in the App world.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Joe

Please use plain text.
Developer
sergeh

you are correct

--
Bitbox
Please use plain text.
Administrator
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to highlight the importance of specifying the correct size for PlayBook icons.

As other developers have indicated, and as listed in the UI Guidelines, the correct icon size is 86 x 86.

If you use an icon that is larger that these dimensions, the Tablet OS does not automatically downscale it.  What you end up with is a blank icon will appear in place of the incorrectly sized icon.  Note: this is current behavior - perhaps it may change over time - so all developers should be aware of the importance of defining the right icon sizes.  I noticed this for the first time with an app and discovered the "icon" being used was actually an 835x835 image!

To that extent, have you seen the PlayBook Icon creator?  I've used it myself and enjoy how simple it is to use, and quality of the results I get (please note this is an external site and is not officially endorsed or supported by RIM).

Sincerely,

Adam

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Please use plain text.
Developer
jonberry

Thanks for the info Adam.

But why does the simulator behave differently than the real tablet with respect to icon size?

On the playbook simulator my larger app icon was displayed correctly.

Please use plain text.