Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
bbooks
My Device: curve

If one webworks app crashes on my phone all others refuse to start??

I have developed a couple of webworks apps for my phone and I have noticed that if one of these apps crashes and stops responding none of the other webworks apps will start. Is this because they are all signed with the same key set?? So should I get different keys for each app I produce??  Any help with this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: If one webworks app crashes on my phone all others refuse to start??

[ Edited ]

Can you explain more what you mean by "crash and stops responding".. do you mean that the JavaScript thread is blocked?

Can you also specify the device model number and OS version number (6.0.0.246 etc)

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor
bbooks

Sorry about the incomplete description of the problem. When I say crash I mean that the application becomes unresponsive. Where I can't close it , can't select anything in the app, menu nothing (i.e. before I have to do battery pull to reset the phone.). This can result fore example when I get problems with low memory error. I am running it on a torch 9800 with os 6.0 bundle 2342. When an application hangs like this , none of the other webworks apps ( eg. ui sample app) will ever get past the initial startup/splash screen when I try to start them. But when I reset the phone they can be launched and start as usual.

Retired
tneil

Is this the same issue you are reporting in the Memory thread?

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor
bbooks

No not the same question. This question is, do I require a different key for every app that I produce because I have a number of apps that are signed by the same keys and when one hangs none of the other apps will start. So I wanted to know if this is because they are signed by the same key that they are somehow related to each other and that is why they don't work. Or is it that if one webworks app hangs the whole webworks infrastructure is compromised and thus none of them will work irrespective of if they are signed with the same set of keys. In essence I want to know if another developer distributes an application built with webworks and it is developed poorly and causes the application to hang, will it prevent my application from functioning. Do you understand the difference in this question from the one in the memory leak thread. Or should I elaborate more on my question?
Retired
tneil

All WebWorks applications use a single instance of WebKit running.. you can think of all WebWorks apps as virtual tabs in a Webkit browser.

If WebKit is hung for whatever reason, all apps using that WebKit instance will be halted. Similar to if someone somehow hogs a JVM.

It doesn't have to do with your signing keys.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter