Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
reboot
My Device: Not Specified

In OS 4.5, HTML textarea does not work if it contains content

Hopefully I'm missing something obvious - but, users of our mobile webmail site have reported that they can not reply to messages.  They all have user agents like "BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.x...".

I've trimmed down the page to the following HTML.   If the textarea is over 12 or so rows, and it contains content, no content after the textarea is displayed in the browser.

Does anyone have any information on this - maybe a workaround?

Thanks much

<html>
<head>
<title>BlackBerry Compatibility Test Page</title>
</head>
<body>

<form>
                <textarea name="test" rows="13">Test textbox
With content</textarea>

<br/>

<input type="submit" name="action" value="Send"/>
</form>

</body>
</html>

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: In OS 4.5, HTML textarea does not work if it contains content

I have been able to reproduce this on BlackBerry handheld software version 4.5.0.  It worked fine in version 4.3.0 and 4.6.0, so it appears that the problem has been addressed.

You could detect the BlackBerry Browser version and limit the textarea to 12 lines if the version is 4.5.0.  The following link explains how to detect this.

How To - Retrieve information about the BlackBerry Browser
Article Number: DB-00435

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800878/800733/How_To_...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Developer
reboot

Thank you for your response.

The problem seems to be more complicated than just a 12 line maximum on textareas.  For example, we were only able to make it work in our mobile webmail site when it is 5 lines - which isn't really enough to compose an email in.

We've seen a few user complaints about this and I'm worried it's going to get much worse as 4.5 becomes more popular.  If there's anybody who knows exactly what the cause & workaround is that would be super helpful.  In the mean time, I'll keep digging as time allows and report back if I find anything.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
jwfrancis

Are there any updates on this issue? I'm experiencing exactly the same problem on the 4.5.0.55 browser.

I can make my page work if I restrict the text in the TEXTAREA to approximately 20 characters, but this is obviously not an optimal solution.

I'm also testing in the 8310 (4.5.0.55) simulator - this actually causes a JVM exception in the simulator when I try and load the page.

Please use plain text.