If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Regular Contributor
MMC
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Install 2.1 and then?

Hi all,

I installed the new Webworks 2.1 SDK. How do I access it? Did it simply update the SDK in Eclipse? I poked around a little bit but didn't see any significant change. Thanks!

Mike

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Install 2.1 and then?

[ Edited ]

The Eclipse plug-in only supports up to WebWorks 2.0... It does not support the v2.1 WebWorks SDK.  All WebWorks SDKs for Eclipse install through the Eclipse update site.  The maximum version posted up there is v2.0

The Visual Studio Plug-in does not support v2.1 of the WebWorks SDK either.

As part of the End Of Life notice for the Web Plug-ins, only WebWorks SDKs up to v2.0 are supported.  There are changes in the WebWorks SDK that we need to make that are not backwards compatible with the end of lifed WebWorks Plug-in tools.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
MMC
My Device: Not Specified

How is the 2.1 SDK used? I assumed it was the way that I access the new API features, more specifically the new camera functions. 

Please use plain text.
tneil

The 2.1 SDK is used in the same manner as the those who do not use the Web Plug-ins for Visual Studio or Eclipse or those using the WebWorks SDK for PlayBook.  It is a command line utility.

Adam wrote a nice tutorial on migrating from the plug-ins:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-and-WebWorks-Development/How-to-use-Ripple-instead-of-the...

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Contributor
genration
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: O2

With the webworks plug-in EOL notice does this signify a move away from this SDK. Is it eventually going to be phased out? Or is it just the IDE integration which you are getting rid of? Is this part of a bigger plan to merge the smartphone and tablet SDKs? Ultimately, what is the future roadmap for the webworks stuff? Thanks.

Please use plain text.
tneil

The EOL notice is just for the IDE plug-ins... We are moving the majority of the plug-in functionality to Ripple in order to not be tied to IDE's that are only used by some.  You will still be able to use Eclipse and Visual Studio to build a website that can be transformed into a WebWorks app.

The WebWorks platform is going strong with no end in sight.  You can always follow our roadmap plans on github.  A summary of the different WebWorks projects can be found here:

http://blackberry.github.com/webworks/index.html

We'll also be having major changes to the website shortly to better serve the WebWorks community.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.