Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Trusted Contributor
imre_m
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, Q10
Accepted Solution

Is Android Runtime to WebWorks update supported?

Hi!

I am thinking to update an Android Runtime application which is published in BB World with a new web app built with WebWorks.

Is this supported/possible?

Thanks,

Imre

--
If you find this post useful please Like it.
If it solves your problem please mark as solution.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
chadtatro
My Device: Z10

Re: Is Android Runtime to WebWorks update supported?

Hello,

I'm a little confused at the question.

You can re-write your application in WebWorks in you like. I encourage you to check out our documentation on getting starting with BlackBerry WebWorks (https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/) and also take a look at bbUI.js (https://github.com/blackberry/bbui.js) which will allow you to easily style your application and give it a native BlackBerry 10 look and feel.

Chad Tetreault | App Development Consultant | BlackBerry Developer Relations | developer.blackberry.com | @chadtatro
Trusted Contributor
imre_m

Hi,

Yes, that is what I want to do. I have published an Android app some time ago. Now I would like rewrite it as a WebWorks app and publish it as an update.

Meanwhile I have found some information. It seems to be a confirmed bug that an app will fail to launch on the user's device if an Android Runtime app has been updated to a WebWorks app. - see ticket BBTEN-401 in the developer jira: https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-401

I also ran into another problem: I am not able to use my old signing keys (from 2011). The keys work perfectly if I want to sign an Android Runtime app. However the same key with the same password does not work with the WebWorks SDK.

If I create new keys using the csj files, then it fixes the problem. However I am afraid that if I use the new keys then I will not be able to publish updates for my already published applications which were signed with the old set of keys.

--
chadtatro
My Device: Z10

I'm not familiar with that bug, best bet is to keep an eye on it in JIRA like you've been doing.

Aside from that, they can link your new keys to the old App ID for you, but you'll need to contact support via the Vendor Portal. It'll be a small amount of work involved to get your environment setup again for WebWorks, but I think in the end it'll be great for you.

Chad Tetreault | App Development Consultant | BlackBerry Developer Relations | developer.blackberry.com | @chadtatro
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

That bug has been fixed.  You can keep the same package ID when moving from one application language to another.  There is a guide on how to do that here:

Upgrading an Application Using Different Languages

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Trusted Contributor
imre_m

Hello Mark!

Thanks for the update. Meanwhile I've uploaded the new version of my app and tested the update with a sandbox account (Android app updated to WebWorks app).

After the update I've ended up having two icons of the application: one still launched the old Android app and the second one was launching the WebWorks app.

After a reboot both icons launched the WebWorks app. (BlackBerry Z10, OS 10.1.0.4181).

I have to add that I've created new signing keys and sent a request to Vendor Support to enable the update.

Regards,

Imre

--
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

If your code signing keys changed then this is expected.  The OS will treat the two installations as separate applications since they were signed by different authors.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker