Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
PaTheo
My Device: Storm2
Accepted Solution

Is it necessary to sign all widgets?

I have developed a small widget that shows only an html file with a message, but when I install it to my Bold 9700 I get the well known message “…attempts to access a secure API...”.

Do I need to sign all widget independently if I use a BlackBerry API or not?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Is it necessary to sign all widgets?

Yes you must sign your widget to deploy it to a device. The code inside of the widget packaging itself requires the use of signed APIs
Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Developer
PaTheo
My Device: Storm2

Thank you for your answer.

I have submitted the "BlackBerry Code Signing Keys Order Form" and I am waiting for the keys (really how long does it usually takes ?), and I want to ask if I will be able to sign all the widgets i will develop in the future or the number is limited to a specific value?.

Also, if I develop a more complicated widget (than a simple Hello World html) which retrieves data from another source (e.g. weather or sports), will the same keys work for signing these widgets also?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

I believe the purchase of keys is a couple day turnaround.   I don't know the length of time specifically but it is typically pretty fast.

You will have something like over 3 billion signs you can perform with one set of keys.  You can use your keys on as many BlackBerry applications as you like including ones that access outside resources or local APIs

Cheers,

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.