Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
iaBrad
My Device: Not Specified

Is it possible to build WebWorks apps on a Mac for Torch, etc.?

I'm intrigued by Playbook development on the Mac. Now I'd like to do the same for BlackBerry phones. Is there a simulator, SDK, and other tools for WebWorks development on the Mac?

New Contributor
e7chan
My Device: 9800

Re: Is it possible to build WebWorks apps on a Mac for Torch, etc.?

The last I heard of this, you code do all your coding on a Mac (natively) with their beta tools, but when it came down to the actual debugging of the program you had to load it and do it on the device itself.

As far as I know there are no simulators for the BlackBerry devices on the Mac (natively)........

(someone please feel free to correct me here if I am wrong)...

New Contributor
Lythinari

e7chan wrote:

The last I heard of this, you code do all your coding on a Mac (natively) with their beta tools, but when it came down to the actual debugging of the program you had to load it and do it on the device itself.

As far as I know there are no simulators for the BlackBerry devices on the Mac (natively)........

(someone please feel free to correct me here if I am wrong)...

Are you talking about the tools recently released for the playbook?

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

There are currently Eclipse tools for Java that will run on a Mac.  To debug a Java application you need to connect a physical device to the Mac via a USB cable.

There are currently no BlackBerry Smartphone simulators that will work on a Mac.  This is why the Java development tools must use a physical device for debugging.  You must load your application each time onto a physical device and then remotely debug the application.

For WebWorks Smartphone SDK development, we don't have a solution for development on the Mac because there is no way to emulate your application.  The debugging channels don't work the same for web applications as they do for Java so there is no way currently to debug a WebWorks application on Mac

Since VMWare and the PlayBook simulator provide an emulation environment for Tablet OS, we have priovided Mac support for this SDK.

Until we have a WebWorks emulation envioronment for BlackBerry Smartphones on a Mac we have no current plans to provide a WebWorks SDK on Mac for Smartphones.

Mac is a priority for us, and there will be a solution provided, but it isn't available today.

I have a feeling I know the follow up question... "So when will there be a solution on Mac for WebWorks smartphones?" :smileyhappy:

I'm not yet able to talk about what this solution will look like or when it will be available.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Contributor
iaBrad

Thank you tneil. Your commitment to the Mac is encouraging. We'd be very interested in beta testing when you get to a point when you need help.
Contributor
rizer
My Device: iPhone

Tim, I feel that your response doesn't make a lot of sense. I've managed to get a very clunky solution working on a Mac using Wine and installing the packaged application manually. It's less than ideal.

Your main reason for not having Mac support is "there is no way currently to debug a WebWorks application on Mac". This seems like a very weak reason to me. For one, there was no way to debug a WebWorks application on the PlayBook simulator at all when I was developing for it (I'm not sure what the current state of debug tools is), and yet it was still released. Secondly, I can debug the WebWorks application through Eclipse by launching a debug session on the device which gives me debug information.

WebWorks claims to be open source, but as no build file is published, this is a mere technicality and not in the spirit of open source. I can't see anything in the packager that could not be easily ported to Mac (if I had the build file), although I admit I may be wrong. As a Mac developer I'd certainly appreciate the effort to make it technically possible to natively package these files.

Regards,

Luke

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi Luke,

For the PlayBook you can use Web Inspector to debug your code. A full tutorial is in the works.  Basic Web Inspectory enabling for WebWorks applications is to build your app with the "-d" command line parameter and it will turn debugging support on.  Follow the steps in the following blog post from BerryReview and you will be able to pick your app for debugging.  Essentially open up Safari/Chrome and point it to the simultor or live device.

http://www.berryreview.com/2011/04/15/hot-webkit-web-inspector-on-the-blackberry-playbook-for-web-de...

Mac support is coming for the WebWoks smartphone platform in the "Eta" release.  We're looking to converge the two WebWorks SDKs (smartphone & Tablet OS) over the course of the next few releases, and part of that is the inclusion of Mac support for the smartphone platform.  If you would like to be involved in the Mac support work and contribute it as part of the project we definately would welcome your contributions.

We also have new emulation tools coming very soon.. as in look for a blog article tomorrow (Wed) for more details :smileyhappy:

These emulation improvements are based on Beta updates of the tinyHippos Ripple emulator that works on both Mac and PC.  Emulation is one of the key areas that we are looking to improve which removes the simulators and compiling/packaging from the mix as much as possible.  We want it to be the last 5% of your testing.

Porting to Mac unfortunately isn't just the WebWorks packager.  It is also the underlying BlackBerry compilers, sign tools, and device loader tools that require USB drivers.  We have completed this for Java tooling and will also be bringing this to the Web tooling as part of the "Eta" release.

We have also been working with Nitobi around providing some ANT build scripts for the WebWorks OSS project as well as prepping our Maven based build scripts for public consumption.

You will also see that we are working through changing the way we work in the open.  Some of these new process changes are being seen in the JavaScript API Docs repository. Where we have provided all the build scripts and instructions as part of the repository.  As part of this change we also have all of our developers with public forks and are performing their daily work in the open and are sending their changes back to the master branch as pull requests.

You can expect us to also move to this mode of operation with the Tablet OS and Smartphone source bases.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter