Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
Lawrence_Liu
My Device: BlackBerry Q10 Z10
Accepted Solution

Is it possible to create a custom card and pass data to custom app, from build in app?

[ Edited ]

Dear All,

I would like to implement such a feature:

Invoke my app from the text message app or email app, and pass some message(for example, the text message content, the sender/subject or content of the email) to my own app. or just pass the id of the message to my app, and then a link between the data in my app and the text message/email could be created.

Then we might create a link to the text message or email from my own app.

I am not sure whether this is possible using webworks, or cascades or native api.

Appreciate for any valuable and helpful discussion or informaiton.

Regards.

Lawrence.

Retired
erikjohnzon
My Device: Q10

Re: Is it possible to create a custom card and pass data to custom app, from build in app?

Hi Lawrence,

I'm not sure how you plan on having the Text Message or Email app "invoke" your application?

You can register your "card" or "application" with the invoke framework and it can be invoked through the use of Cross Cut Menus or share screens, but this depend on the context of an external application invoking it. The "Share" framework will currently allow users to pass text to you from inside the Text Message app or the Email application.
 But we do not send any PIM message Ids or anything like that.

Here is how you can accomplish this:

1. Create an app or card in webworks and register yourself as a "Share" Target here is the documentation for that: http://developer.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/rim_invoke-target.html

2. Make your card able to accept and parse the incoming data and store it however you feel.

I hope that helps.

@erikjohnzon
erjohnson@blackberry.com
Contributor
Lawrence_Liu
My Device: BlackBerry Q10 Z10

Re: Is it possible to create a custom card and pass data to custom app, from build in app?

Dear Erikjohnzon

Thanks for your information. That's very helpful.

I will try to look into the information you provided.

Regards
Lawrence