Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: Developer, Playbook, Curve 9300, Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

JQuery Mobile Webworks app hanging at automatic startup on Curve 9300

[ Edited ]

I have written an application that allows a server to push data to the phone and allows the phone to send data back to a webservice to be saved into a sql database. All of this is happening through a BES and the app is built with SDK 2.1.1.

The application is set to run at install and startup so that the push service is always listening. When the application was installed the first time, it ran fine. I was able to push data to it and verify that it was successful. Once the phone was rebooted, though, the application starts up but never gets loaded completely. I just get a blank screen with the arrows in the top right corner occasionally. Also, at this time the browser will not start.

If I do not set the app to run at startup, then it functions fine and the browser works as well. I have three curves, same model, same OS. One works without any issues, but the others have the problems listed above.

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Thanks in advance.

Retired
My Device: Superberry
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: JQuery Mobile Webworks app hanging at automatic startup on Curve 9300

Hello demonmaker,

We haven't encountered that particular problem. When you say that the browser will not start, do you mean that once the device has booted completely, you cannot open the browser application through the ribbon?

If so, are you drawing to the UI from a Java extension that you wrote or are you displaying alerts from the background start page?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Useful resources, food for the brain:
Web(Works) KB - http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-and-WebWorks-Development/tkb-p/browser_dev%40tkb
Contributor

The browser will not start from the ribbon.

When new data comes into my app and the app is in the background, I change the app icon. I do not display any alerts from the backgroung page.

Retired

Interesting, it sounds like you may have hit a bug. Can you post some code that we can have a look at, maybe it'll give us some clues?

Are you using any custom extensions, or out-of-the-box WebWorks APIs exclusively?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Web(Works) KB - http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-and-WebWorks-Development/tkb-p/browser_dev%40tkb
Contributor

I am putting a test application together to recreate the issue. I'll post when I have it ready.

Contributor

index.htm

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN">
<html>
 <head>
     <meta name="viewport" id="viewport" content="height=device-height,width=device-width,user-scalable=no" />
  <script src="scripts/actions.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
  <title>Untitled Page</title>

</head>
 <body id='mainBody' onLoad='initApp()'>
        <input type=text name="htmlTest" id="htmlTest" value="This text is created in HTML!" style="width: 200px" />
        <br />
        <input type=text name="javaTest" id="javaTest" value="" style="width: 200px" />
 </body>
</html>

actions.js

function initApp() {
    var textbox = document.getElementById('javaTest');
    textbox.value = 'This text is created in javascript!';
}

config.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<widget xmlns:rim="http://www.blackberry.com/ns/widgets" version="1.0.1" rim:header="RIM-webworks:rim/webworks" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/ns/widgets">
  <name>TestIT</name>
  <description />
  <author href="" rim:copyright="A. Chapman 2011" email="">Alan Chapman</author>
  <content src="index.htm">
    <rim:background src="index.htm" runOnStartup="true" />
  </content>
  <rim:loadingScreen backgroundColor="#FFFFFF" />
  <license href="" />
  <rim:cache disableAllCache="false" aggressiveCacheAge="2592000" maxCacheSizeTotal="1024" maxCacheSizeItem="128" />
</widget>

This application works on some of my phones and has the issues reported on others. All are 9300s with the official AT&T OS6 bundle 2342. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I am using the Visual Studio plugin to build the app.

Contributor

Ok, I just realized on one of the phones with issues, that I had my main app running at startup as well which seemed to be influencing the test app.

Now the test app seems to run fine.

Is there any way I can send you my original project without posting the code on here?

Retired

When you're saying that you're building with the Visual Studio plugin, do you mean that you're using it to write the code and generate the COD file?

Our IDEs do not support the latest packager, it MUST be run from the command line. If you're packaging from VS, you're using an older version of the packager which may have bugs that were resolved in 2.1.1.
Contributor

I just recompiled the app through the command line and deployed it with javaloader. The phones that had problems still have the same ones, and the phones that were working now have an hourglass/clock popping up in the middle of the screen every 8 seconds like something is trying to load, but the application seems to work fine.

Retired
My Device: Z10

Also.. which Push API are you using?

The original push APIs had issues when running on startup and when having more than one application on the device using the push APIs.

Make sure you are using the openBESPushListener or openBISPushListener functions and not the "openPushListener" function that has been marked for deprication.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter