Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: None
My Carrier: None
Accepted Solution

JQuery Mobile & 9800 Issues

Hi,

I'm developing a JQuery Mobile based app which I've tested on both Ripple and the 9800 emulator and it works fine,including navigation. When I test it on the actual device, the navigation doesn't work. I don't think it is a click detection issue because the elements change their styles accordingly. Is it a specific device issue?

Thanks for any help or comments

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: JQuery Mobile & 9800 Issues

Have you tried debugging it with WebInspector? That should allow you to see what is wrong.

Also, if it's a bug in the software, you could try a newer OS.

Tim Windsor
Open Source Technical Lead
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 - Developer
My Carrier: iWireless - Developer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you could only bake in the Web Inspector if you are running BB OS 7, and the 9800 will only run BB OS6.

If there is some way to get the web inspector up in BB6, please let us know -- as this will make the work I am doing right now much  easier.

You're right, I thought it was in 6, but it's not. There are a few other options that could help and get you past this:

Additional debugging options

Some additional utilities that can be used to debug and profile web or BlackBerry WebWorks content running on BlackBerry Device Software version 5.0 and BlackBerry® 6:

Weinre

Weinre (Web Inspector Remote) is a server-based solution created by Patrick Mueller that is very similar in function to WebKit Web Inspector, except you can view and modify live debug info running from your mobile web content using a desktop browser. This can be quite powerful as it is designed to allow you to invoke remote JavaScript® from the console, as well as dynamically modify page content at runtime such as HTML or CSS. You can even use Weinre to troubleshoot blackberry.* JavaScript APIs.

Firebug Lite

Similar to Firebug, a developer plug-in for the FireFox browser, Firebug Lite is a JavaScript framework that is designed to be used to add debugging & profiling capabilities to web applications, including those forBlackBerry WebWorks. Developer Levi DeHaan has posted in the BlackBerry Web Community Forumsabout using Firebug Lite as part of your BlackBerry WebWorks application development.

Jsconsole.com

JSConsole.com is a remote service created by Remy Sharp that can be used to configure your BlackBerry WebWorks content to load a remote JavaScript file that shares output from console.log(). By doing this, you can view console output generated by your BlackBerry WebWorks application from your desktop browser, and troubleshoot applications running on either a live device or simulator.

Tim Windsor
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for your help. I tried using Firebug, which by the way is an excellent debugging option, but I couldn't discover the problem. The code executes completely, including the changePage method, without throwing any errors but not working at all.

Do you have a sample that reproduces it or the source that I could look at? You can email it to me at twindsor@rim.com

Tim Windsor
Contributor

Thank you, I've already sent you an e-mail. I've also uploaded the app here:

http://www.festivalcervantino.gob.mx/mobile/TestBB

I tested the app from the above URL on both desktop and mobile browsers, not Blackberry, and it works perfectly.

Testing on the device as an app and in the browser produces the error.

Thanks a lot for your help :smileyvery-happy:

I didn't get the source. Can you resend it? twindsor@rim.com

Tim Windsor
Contributor

Ready :smileyhappy:

I still haven't gotten it - maybe you can DM me a location to download it?

Tim Windsor