Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
dvdmatt
My Device: Not Specified

Javascript problem with createTextNode()

The javascript function createTextNode() appears to have a problem on my 8310.  When I call it my script hangs.  Can anyone else confirm this on their Blackberry?  If someone from RIM is watching can you confirm if this is a bug in the browser, or if not what the correct work-around is?

Thanks for any help,

Matt

This page works correctly on:

Firefox, IE, Opera, Safari, iPhone

This page does not work on Windows Moblie phones or the Blackberry.  There is a workaround under Windows.

8310: v4.2.2.170

http://iwon.com.au/CTNtest.html

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Javascript problem with createTextNode()

you can use document.write() and document.close() or force your users to use 4.3 or 4.5 OS.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Developer
dvdmatt

Thanks.

document.write() has restrictions which make it inappropriate for updating an existing page.  If element.createTextNode() has been fixed in newer versions of the OS I'll give that a try.  It is unfortunate if this is the only solution as wide distribution of this software will then entail a lot of support issues.

I looked for an OS update last week and was frustrated with the process.  I downloaded the installer, but when I tried to run it on my vanilla Windows XP SP3 Dell computer I got an error along the lines of 'An error has occurred, please call support'.  Upon calling AT&T support they were completely lost and put me through to RIM's pay per use support.  Not where I wanted to be left hanging when it looked like a problem with their software.

I just went to the site again and it is not at all intuitive from the home page what software is needed to upgrade the phone.  I think a consumer would be at a loss and just not run the application if it directed them to upgrade their OS if they were presented with this page.

Where can I look next time to find if a problem has been corrected in a specific OS release.  Are there release notes available online?

Do you have any recommendation if I should code to 4.3 or 4.5?  Deployment numbers would be great.

Matt

Please use plain text.
New Developer
dvdmatt

Ok, I got the same message on 4.3 that i got trying to install 4.2:

Error 1904.Module C:...GW.dll failed to register.  HRESULT -2147220473.  Contact your support personnel.

A user would be frustrated enough at this point to just not run our software.

I  found a solution at:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/how-fix-desktop-manager-error-1904-a-54700/

but it is not something every user would be comfortable performing on their computer.

With all the problems I encountered I don't see upgrading the phone's OS as a viable solution to the problem.

What is the problem with createTextNode() in 4.2?  Is this just an error in the browser?  Could a patched version of the browser be made available as a separate installable update?

Matt

Please use plain text.
New Developer
dvdmatt

Nice,  After installing the software and running through the 'patch' process I get the error:

DllRegisterServer in gq.dll failed.

Return code was: 0x80070005

This is not going well.

Matt 

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

I recommend posting the Desktop Manager issues to the BackBerry Software\BlackBerry Desktop Software forum.  The appropriate experts should see your posting there.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Developer
dvdmatt

Thanks Mark, have done.

In the end updating my phone's OS does not solve my problem.  Can you address the following excerpts from the above post?

What is the problem with createTextNode() in 4.2?  Is this just an error in the browser?

Could a patched version of the browser be made available as a separate installable update?

Matt 

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

[ Edited ]

dvdmatt wrote:

Where can I look next time to find if a problem has been corrected in a specific OS release.  Are there release notes available online?

Do you have any recommendation if I should code to 4.3 or 4.5?  Deployment numbers would be great.

Hello,

if I recall correctly there are very few differences in the browser between 4.3 and 4.5. the gap is between 4.2 and 4.3, and between 4.5 and 4.6.

If you want to know what each brwser version is capable of, you can install on your PC the blackberry virtual machine. You can have several versions on your PC but can only launch one at a time.

Anyways, apart from the new Blakberry Bold and its 4.6 version, the Blackberry browser is not very good at DHTML or webservices. Practice is rather to develop a Blackberry application than to do a website that will be too complicated for the browser to handle.

About the release notes, you won't find a changelog between versions, but you can grab on blackberry.com website an indepth pdf of what each browser version can do (no word about DOM though). I don't remember the link, butthe title of the document is "BlackBerry_Browser_Version_4.2_Content_Developer_Guide.pdf"

Message Edited by Xandrex on 08-31-2008 03:47 PM

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Developer
dvdmatt

Thanks Xandrex for your link to the 4.6 notes at http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB15466&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

Mark, It looks like you guys did a great job on updating the browser.

I have confirmed once again that there is no possibility to upgrade all the phones these applications are targeted at from their current 4.2.

Although it will not solve my current product problems will 4.6 run on all Blackberrys?

Once the 4.6 browser is released could it be backported to improve web access from 4.2?  What would be entailed?

Matt

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

hello,

Handheld Device Software OS (4.2, 4.2.2, 4.3, 4.5, 4.6...) are not upgraded.
One day, a new version is released, and you have to wait for Blackberry to release it for your old model.

Please use plain text.