Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
Snisheeth
My Device: Curve 9300

JqueryMobile HTML Pages not Showing well on my BB Bold or Curve(Version 6 or 7) - It works fine on some of the Curves (Version 6)

We have a Jquery , JqueryMobile , HTML5 and CSS3 based application that we have released for Iphone and Android users and that's working all good.
The issue has come with BlackBerry release  where we see tremendous inconsistencies creeping up.

So we have a series of BlackBerry phones for testing the application and I have noticed that on some of the BlackBerry 7 (with RIM browser version 6.0 ), the JqueryMobile pages are not even getting rendered properly. So say if I have an HTML file with 3 pages inside it(with data-role=page), they all seem to loose the stylesheet and kind of stack one after another and mess the whole page up. I expect to see just the first page loading and then per the navigation rules see the pages change. The Ajax call that we make to get the data back for the screen also seems to be not finishing as the spinner goes on an on forever.
I wrote a simple JqueryMobile Application with just two pages inside an HTML and it too has the same issue of not just showing the first page and stacking up both together and loosing the stylesheet. It seems it's not even understanding what JqueryMobile is.

On the other hand I have a BlackBerry 6(with RIM browser version again 6.0), and it's all hunky dory on this phone. Both the applications seem to be loading extremely well and stylesheets get applied as expected.

So my analysis tells me that there is something, either a configuration or a setting missing in the First Phone(BB Version 7) that stops it from rendering even the very basic of JqueryMobile pages(I expected it to be better than the other one as it's a version ahead).
Can you think of anything, your inputs will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Sharad
Retired
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: JqueryMobile HTML Pages not Showing well on my BB Bold or Curve(Version 6 or 7) - It works fine on some of the Curves (Version 6)

I wonder if its a browser detection issue - that is, the jQuery mobile project is not detecting a specific version of the device software properly?

Or there may be some browser behavior feature or property that changed.  Would like to run some official jQuery Mobile unit tests to confirm.  I was able to find the following unit tests included within the jQuery mobile project:

https://github.com/jquery/jquery-mobile/tree/master/tests/unit

I'd suggest downloading and extracting this content to a local Web server.  Then load up the /tests/unit/index.html file on each of the devices to see if there is some feature that might be failing?  if we can track it down, we may be able to either report it to the jQuery team as a bug, or start looking at a workaround.

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Retired
JsonScott
My Device: Bold 9900

Re: JqueryMobile HTML Pages not Showing well on my BB Bold or Curve(Version 6 or 7) - It works fine on some of the Curves (Version 6)

Can you create a simple jsfiddle or jsbin that illustrates this problem? I will take a look at it.

Thanks,

Jason

Twitter: @JsonScott
New Contributor
Snisheeth

Awesome. Thanks for replying so quickly. I will try the steps you suggested and see if I zero it down to any definitive level. It has been a frustrating week trying to find the reason for this conundrum.

Most confusing part is that things work on one phone and doesn't on other.

Here are the Model/Versions of the working and non working phones - 

Working Phone - 

Model - BlackBerry Curve 9300 

Carrier - AT&T

Device Version says - BlackBerry 9300 smartphone(3G, WI-FI) 6.0 Bundle 2342 (V6.0.0.526, platform 6.6.0.195.....)

Not Working Phone 

Model - BlackBerry Bold - 9650

Carrier - Verizon

Device Version says - BlackBerry 9650 smartphone(3G, CDMA, WI-FI) 6.0 Bundle 2333 (V6.0.0.524, platform 4.4.0.438....)

Does that platform version number (6.6.0.195 versus 4.4.0.438), is the one that dirrentiates a BlackBerry Phone from being BlackBerry 6 and 4. I thought it's  V6 that indicated it. I have read it somewhere that JqueryMobile is supported only on th BlackBerry Phones 5 and above.

Thanks,

Sharad

Retired
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

The device version (V6.0.0.524) is the primary version that jQuery is referring to when they indicate support.  The platform is the underlying BlackBerry platform that the BlackBerry OS runs on.  The two devices you are using have very different radio stacks (one is an EDGE device and the other is CDMA) and therefore require different platforms.  Given that the issue occurs on the CDMA device, I suspect that we may be able to isolate a problem to a jQuery feature/capability that is either broken or not supported on that device.

As Jason suggests, can we try a code snippet to reproduce?

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
New Contributor
Snisheeth

Here is the JSFiddle - http://jsfiddle.net/USdZT/.
It's a simple JqueryMobile HTML page with multiple pages.
There is this wierd thing that I noticed yesterday and wanted to share here -
The BlackBerry Bold on CDMA, that was failing to load this simple page- last evening I swear I saw it working on this Phone(The CDMA one) and which again is not working. Now it just draws blank on those BlackBerry Phones (On Verizon Network). It just comes with a white screen.
Let me know if I need to furnish more information in this regard.
It's just that I am not able to find another Blackberry Curve on AT&T to see it working on that too and can confirm if this is related to a CDMA network.

Retired
JsonScott
My Device: Bold 9900

[ Edited ]

I updated your jsfiddle with the lastest JQM. Can you see if that fixes your issue before I dive further into it?

http://jsfiddle.net/USdZT/1/ 

Twitter: @JsonScott
New Contributor
Snisheeth

Hi Jason,

Thanks for responding.

Now, on the same phone (With CDMA) which was drawing a blank page, when I try your change it brings the page, but again back to the same old issue -

All the Pages stacked one after another

Lost styleSheets.

Looks like the Phone  didn't even understand what JQuery Mobile is.

Is there a browser setting that can treat this.

Was the blank page result of an Old Jquery Mobile libraries and if yes then I fail to understand why the same old page that I created the JSFiddle with worked fine with my other BB Curve 6 with ATT.

But at least one issue looks clear (that blank page), let's try to find why would it loose the stylesheet and stack the pages together, one after another.

Thanks,

Sharad

New Contributor
Snisheeth

Also Jason, I also tried to access http://jquerymobile.com/test/ , from those two phones. The Phone (CDMA one)  that missed the stylesheets and stacked the pages together, did the same thing here too. It came styleless and no lists displayed.

Whereas when I tried it with the good phone, things rendered completely fine.

So I am convinced it's the browser/content  setting or the  Version of some software in the phone that's causing all these issues.

Can you suggest what can we do to get around with it.

Thanks,

Sharad

New Contributor
Snisheeth

Has there been any RIM Browser Patches that resolves the page load issue for the basic JqueryMobile pages like -

"http://jquerymobile.com/test/ ,"