Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
araskin
My Device: Bold 9900, 9810, 9780, 9650 and so many others

Launching browser channel and browser tabs

Hi Everyone,

Our application pushes a channel icon to the BB desktop. When the user clicks the channel a cache pushed HTML page is displayed. When I do this on my Torch (6.0.0.246), the HTML page is displayed. If I back out of the browser and the click the channel again, the page I previously opened is brought to the foreground and refreshed. Perfect.

Contrast this with one of our customers. They are running the same Torch (6.0.0.246) but obviously on a different BES. When they back out of the page and click the icon again, a NEW tab is opened and the page is displayed. This means the user has multiple tabs of the same page open. Not desirable. Is there a way (perhaps a device or BES setting) to make the browser 're-use' the all ready open tab rather then open a new one?

Alon

Please use plain text.
Contributor
vishal_trivedi
My Device: developer

Re: Launching browser channel and browser tabs

[ Edited ]

Hii

Araskin I have exactly the same issue if its possible for you to let me know how you did it...

Thanks especially since this was posted a yr back.

Please use plain text.
Retired
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Are both devices using the exact same push service?

If not, is there any possibility that the customer is receiving a channel push with a different Channel-ID?

Do both browsers have the same options / settings in place, specifically regarding browsing history / cache settings?

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
vishal_trivedi
My Device: developer

is there a possibility of configuring browser to open all urls fired from my app to open in one tab only?(irresepctive of device)
Please use plain text.
Developer
araskin

No there is not :-(
Please use plain text.
Retired
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

I've asked around, and unfortunately I did not find a lot of information.  The recommendation was to confirm what versions of BES are being used for each device.  There may in fact be a caching difference between the two, or the contents of the channel push are different.

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Please use plain text.
Developer
araskin

Thanks for looking into this Adam. Unfortunately we gave up on this issue a long time ago. We have seem many situations where multiple devices ON THE SAME BES behaved differently. It seems to come down to the OS release you are on. To make matters worse we have seen many situations where the same device on different releases will behave differently. 

What we ended up doing is implementing some client side code (in JS) that detected that another instance of the app has been opened and then navigated away to another URL. This happened automatically without any user intervention and we still use that today.

Please use plain text.