Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
edkirk30
My Device: Playbook (soon - hopefully)
My Carrier: o2

Re: Local .swf flash inside BlackBerry PlayBook app

I'm trying to use the JS sound library SoundManager2 which uses flash (or html audio) for the actual audio playback. JS I know, but I'm not a flash programmer I'm afraid. Unfortunetly I don't have an actual PB at the moment and the simulator doesn't seem to like the flash audio at all so I cannot test this aspect, nor get any console output from the simulator.

The SoundManager2 library uses a single swf file and it adds the html element itselfs when the page loads. The injected div looks as such:

<div id="sm2-container" class="movieContainer " style="z-index: 10000; position: absolute; width: 6px; height: 6px; top: -9999px; left: -9999px; ">

<embed name="sm2movie" id="sm2movie" src="./swf/soundmanager2_flash9.swf" quality="high" allowscriptaccess="always" bgcolor="#ffffff" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" title="JS/Flash audio component (SoundManager 2)" type="application/x-	shockwave-flash" haspriority="true">

</div>

The behaviour described to me when my App was rejected is the behaviour I observe when the app is run locally on a desktop browser *without* the directory it is run from being added as an local exception for flash's local execution security policy. SoundManager will output debug messages to the console, including a warning about security problems when flash, but as I said I can't test this on the simulator at present.

Could it be the use of <embed> instead of <object>? I can provide a very simple SoundManager example unpackaged/packaged if anyone would be kind enough to run it on an actual device? It's a really simple library to use.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
lcocea
My Device: PlayBook & Nexus 4

@edkirk30 -- hi, you can send me your demo code by email and i'll have a look later today. thanks.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
edkirk30

Me and lcocea have been working together to test the issue. The SoundManager library's .swf does appear to not be allowed to execute locally by flash, contradicting the expected behaviour.

Is the local security execution exception for packaged apps only applied to <object> elements and not <embed>?

Please use plain text.
Developer
ignites
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

<OBJECT classid="clsid:smileyvery-happy:27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="240" id="Yourfilename" ALIGN="">
<PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="Yourfilename.swf"> <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high> <PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=#333399>
<EMBED src="Yourfilename.swf" quality=high bgcolor=#333399 WIDTH="787" HEIGHT="590px" NAME="Yourfilename" ALIGN="" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></EMBED> </OBJECT>

works well for me

Developer for easyDial for BlackBerry Bold & inLink for BlackBerry PlayBook
Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
edkirk30

ignites: Can I just confirm that's when run in a packaged .bar webworks app on the playbook?

Please use plain text.
Developer
ignites

I am not sure what you are asking but i can confirm it works. As long as you have the file path correct.

Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!
Please use plain text.
Developer
ignites

yup it works as a bar file (see http://forums.crackberry.com/attachments/playbook-apps-games-f243/107187d1334676279-free-coin-pusher...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nomi34
My Device: 9800 and Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

@edkirk30 - Did you ever get it working?

Please use plain text.