Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
poornamelessme
My Carrier: -

Locking into portrait mode

To lock an app into portrait mode, do I just need to add:

<rim:smileysurprised:rientation mode = "portrait" />

into my config file, and it's good to go?

My resubmissions for some of my  apps  have been getting denied now, due to the reviewer saying they should be in portrait mode only (not entirely sure why). That, and more info should be in the description field (in the draft, I guess)?

I also seemed to get a ton of denials due to my already denied apps getting reviewed twice, oddly enough, with some being denied as duplicates of the resubmissions.

Anyway, I wish the first reviewer mentioned  any of  the above things, as it would have saved me a ton of time. It's weird how some reviewers find issues, yet others don't. Some of the same exact types of apps that I am getting denied for not being  portrait mode only, have been approved previously too ... doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it.

Please use plain text.
Developer
poornamelessme

Re: Locking into portrait mode

After trying one of my apps in the simulator now, non-portrait, I see the issue.

Due to the first reviewer saying my app was too small, I increased the size, so there wasn't so much white space. But by doing so, now the user would have to scroll a little if using non-portrait. I wouldn't view it as a biggie, but I guess it's not acceptable to require any scrolling.

Odd part is, if left alone like it originally was, it would have fit in fine both vertically and horizontally.

Anyway... I tried to lock it into portrait, but can't be certain it's really locking. It still shows up non-portrait in the simulator, if I so wish. Will the above config setting lock it in the device only, or simulator too? Just wondering if typed something wrong to lock it in portrait, or if there is no actual way to test portrait locking without real hardware.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
nzcoderguy
My Carrier: 2 Degrees NZ

Agreed - I have attempted to lock mine to Landscape, yet getting rejections on several apps when they are being tested in Portrait..

It doesn't appear to lock it in Ripple, but might pay to try it out in an actual emulator.. 

+Like this post, if you find it useful/helpful!
Please use plain text.
Developer
poornamelessme

I ended up using:

<feature id="blackberry.app">
    <param name="orientation" value="portrait" />
    </feature>

As I read the other method I listed above won't work with BB10. The above seems to work fine when I tested my apps on my dev alpha (which I didn't have for testing earlier).

The main thing I learned is that Ripple is close to useless for actual testing, besides just testing if your app won't explode immediately.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
nzcoderguy

Thats what I've been using. Yes Ripple doesn't enforce any of the config settings.. so you don't know if the external calls are going to fail or not.  

Have you tried the official emulator instead of Ripple? 

I wish I had a dev alpha device to test with.. :-/ makes it harder otherwise!

Please use plain text.
Developer
poornamelessme

Yeah, I've used it, and it's certainly better than Ripple is. But it's rather clunky overall (I find). One thing that I do find better is it's a lot easier to test locking on an actual device, and how images + text is aligned. I guess maybe because I was using the emulator on my big monitor, but text that looked perfectly readable in the simulator ended up looking kind of tiny on the actual device.

And I guess that was what my original problem was.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
nzcoderguy

yeah.. I think Blackberry need to work on their emulator - as most dev's probably won't have a dev test device..

Please use plain text.