Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
bwalker2006
My Carrier: AT&T

MDS Services

I have a question around MDS services.  I watched some support videos and was not clear on if  it is absolutely necessary to have MDS services running on a server to fulfill request from the blackberry browser or HTTP request from a custom Java app  My issue is that want to create a mobile solution via the blackberry, but I am pretty sure my hosting company is not running MDS services on their boxes.  comments please.  I am just getting started on the development so my knowledge is limited at the moment.  Anyway can I just use soap/webserivces?

Thanks

B.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jwargo

Re: MDS Services

What MDS does is provide a BlackBerry application (whether it be a Java application, the browser or something else) is a secure connection into the corpoorate firewall for access to the data. The BlackBerry uses the connection to gain access to servers sitting inside the corporate firewall.

That's it. So, if your users are running your application and it needs to access corporate data, you'll either have to turn on MDS or open firewall ports so the application can access the server without using MDS.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Carrier: Rogers

BlackBerry device connections basically boil down to two options:

1) BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server activation in a corporation for Exchange/Domino access)

2) BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service activation.  Go out and buy your device from a carrier for personal usage)

Rule of Thumb:

in the BIS environment, the BlackBerry communicates directly to a public URL for the data through the RIM data center (i.e. google for searching).  In the BES environment the MDS is installed and acts as a proxy that directs all of the communications to and from the Smartphone.

This is why in a corporate environment the MDS is important, as it creates an instant VPN tunnel for access to corporate data and intranet sites for company usage.

There are some variances/exceptions to this rule, but it generally follows that logic.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bwalker2006

thanks John

thanks for your help

Bunis

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jz5168
My Carrier: Spring

Tim,

I'm in the process of figuring out a way to help my client, they current have issues that corp internal server URL links cannot be accessed from BB device.  So let's say an corp email is pushed with their BES, and if users trying to click the links embedded in the email, it goes nowhere.

What do they have to do to acheive this?

Meanwhile I need to develop a little application for them that needs to interface with their internal application servers (Microsoft Sharepoint server and other application servers), what are my options?

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jwargo

The links point to internal web servers? Then you need to make sure MDS is turned on on their BES. It's the connection to internal web servers.

Regarding accessing internal application servere - you have several options: Web, Java applications and BlackBerry Widgets. Too hard to explain all of the options here, but there's a ton of information available on www.blackberry.com/developers and of course in my book (unfortunately Widgets aren't covered in my book).

Please use plain text.