Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
whoiskb
My Device: Not Specified

MDS won't start

I recently started running Windows 7 64 bit and I am now in the process of trying to get the BB emulators running.  I have installed jre-6u14-windows-i586.exe which according to the sun web site is compatable with windows 7.  This installed is not the 64 bit version that they offer.  After I installed Java, I then installed BlackBerry_Email_MDS_4.1.4.exe.  When I run the MDS from the start menu, a cmd shows and disappears for a split second.

Anyone have some insight as to what is going on, and what I may need to do to resolve this?

Thanks

Kevin 

Please use plain text.
Developer
jwargo
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: MDS won't start

Did you look into the MDS Logs? They may tell you why it opened then quit although I'm sure Windows 7 isn't supported.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
whoiskb

I am trying to find where the logs are located at, could you point me in the right direction.
Please use plain text.
Developer
jwargo

Did you look in the folder structure where MDS is installed?  On my Vista box, they're here:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Email and MDS Services Simulators 4.1.4\MDS\logs

Maybe I'm offbase here.  I didn't see anything in mine that would indicate problems starting up, but you'd think it would write out startup information when it starts. Always a good place to start, perhaps the Windows even log too?

Please use plain text.
New Developer
whoiskb

Yep, I check both of those places.  My path is 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Email and MDS Services Simulators 4.1.4\MDS

but there is no logs folder and the event viewer has nothing.

I found this thread where they had a similiar problem:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=browser_dev&message.id=451&query.id=6... 

They mention something about the need to update some environment variable, but not sure which ones.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jwargo

Do you have any of the other development tools installed?  The Visual Studio plug-in or the Eclipse plug-in (can't remember which, sorry - I think it's the Visual Studio Plug-in) install MDS and launch it as a service when Windows starts. I found that in order to make all of the tools coexist I had to disable automatic startup of that instance of MDS. i'm not saying that's what's happening here, just passing on some past experience.

I run all of the tools on both 32-bit and 64-bit Vista with only one problem (the device simulators won't close on 64-bit Vista). Good luck with this one since you're running on a non-released and unsupported OS.

Please use plain text.