Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
jwargo
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Making a blackberry web shortcut icon for my website? I GIVE UP

As great as that solution is, it's not practical for large organizations since every new user would have to be setup for the push when they join. Considering that you have to execute code on a server or desktop machine to push the channel, makes it too cumbersome for most organizations.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pb1081
My Device: Curve 8520

Thank you Tim for providing the links. I will take a look.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pb1081
My Device: Curve 8520

Thank you for the information John. Could you provide more information on where I could find instructions on doing this via Blackberry Widget. The general intention as it was stated to me is they want an icon to appear on the user's blackberry device that opens to a url on our intranet.

We are running BES 4.1.6 MR7

Please use plain text.
Developer
jwargo
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800

I wouldn't do it in a Widget, I'd do it in a Java application - it's like 5 lines of code, very easy to do with the examples RIM provides.

Building a wIdget, which is basically a Java application wrapped around a browser field, just to invoke the browser is overkill when you can just write a simple Java application that does it. It would be a smaller app and much less code being executed to just launch a URL.

If you want to do a Widget, Tim can point you to the right information you need - he's the product manager for the Widget tools, so he knows it much, much better than I do.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mxberry
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Iusacell

jwargo ha escrito:

First of all, I don't work for RIM and I'm not sure about the others who work this forum. I'm just trying to be helpful, not sure why you're yelling at me.

You can build a Java app (would take you like 10 minutes to do it - all the source code is available  here: http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800332/800440/How_To_... All you would need to do is plunk in the URL being opened and add an icon to a project file. 

You can then put the application on a web server and give your users a way to download it (by providing a link to the application's .jad file) and they can install it on their devices in seconds. There's just no programmatic way to do it.

There's tradeoffs - with the iPhone you can't run stuff in the background (how rediculous is that - you're not complaining about that limitation?) but on the BlackBerry you can. The BlackBerry is a secure platform - giving people programmatic access to 'create' shortcuts on the fly could be considered a big security hole. 

Hi all. Do this will work on the BlackBerry® JDE v7.1.0???

I'm trying to develope a WebIcon for one of my websites.

Regards.

Please use plain text.