Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: BB 10 Dev Apha
My Carrier: -

Map support and documentation. What shall I be able to do ?

Dear all,

I know this topic is something already discussed and quite "sensible" at the moment, but I am a bit lost about Maps support in BB10.

I was wondering if Webworks is going to offer some kind of APIs to manage maps as well as Cascade does with the MapView object.

Also, we just tried to invoke the Navigator application as described here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-and-WebWorks-Development/Launch-BB10-Maps-from-Website/m-...

but we got problem with source location that is always replaced by current position. I guess this is something related to the Navigator app itself, but in a more general way I would like to have more details about what we can / will be able to do with Maps (webworks context) as soon as all major platform issues will be solved.

I need this information to plan our future developments, so any tip / advise is really appreciated!

Thank you so much guys!

Cheers

-marco 

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Map support and documentation. What shall I be able to do ?

Using Maps in WebWorks applications may actually be easier than you think.  There is no dependancy on a native API or control, and you can use a variety of content providers.

Here is a sample app that demonstrates how to use either of the following maps in a BlackBerry 10 WebWorks app: Google maps, Bing Maps, Leaflet and OpenLayers:

https://github.com/blackberry/BB10-WebWorks-Samples/tree/master/Maps

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Contributor
My Device: BB 10 Dev Apha
My Carrier: -

Re: Map support and documentation. What shall I be able to do ?

Hi,

thank you for your reply. I will take a look at it, but I was  searching for something more integrated with the device, e.g. using the same mechanism the built-in Navigator app uses to display maps. I do not know if this is somehow planned by the Blackberry Team, it would be really useful having more  details on what we can / will  actually do with Webworks.

Thanks

cheeers

-marco