Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: Dev Alpha
Accepted Solution

Menu tooltips

How can I set a tooltip for a menu item?

For example in the built in contacts app when I press and hold the search icon the "Search" tooltip appears.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: All
My Carrier: N/A

Re: Menu tooltips

Is this for BB10?  If so, I think you're referring to the Context Menu.

I wrote a little sample which shows you how to integrate it into a BB10 WebWorks app: https://github.com/blackberry/BB10-WebWorks-Samples/tree/master/CustomContext

Developer

Yes, it for BB10 but not the Context Menu.

The Wall Street Journal app also has this functionality, like on this screenshot:

IMG_00000050.png

I would like to show the "Latest" text.

My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

If you are using bbUI those tooltips are automatically added when using an actionBar on the Q5/10 and the lastest version of bbUI. If you aren't using bbUI have a look at the bbUI source to see how they are created.

--
System Software Developer II - Enterprise R&D

@roryboy

1.Please resolve your thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the post which solved your problem!
2. If any post helps you please click the like/thumbs up button below the post(s)
Developer

I am using bbUI.js with the Action Bar and I cannot see these tooltips on my Dev Alpha C.

Nor I can see it when running the WebWorks Bootstrap: http://devblog.blackberry.com/2013/04/webworks-bootstrap-sample-v1/

My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

You'll need bbUI version 0.9.6.144 or higher, the one included in the Built for BlackBerry example uses 0.9.6.126. The addtion of the tooltips is relately recent.

rcb.

--
System Software Developer II - Enterprise R&D

@roryboy

1.Please resolve your thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the post which solved your problem!
2. If any post helps you please click the like/thumbs up button below the post(s)
Developer

Thanks @rcraigbarnes! With the latest version it works great. Much smoother as well. :smileyhappy: