Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
peardox
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: 3, Orange, Vodafone

Minimalist localisation - A community project

I've been mulling this one over ever since my Artist friend sent me over some graphics this morning.

I'm writing a tile-based game and my co-developer sent me a load of Chinese ideograms as a tile set, His point was that text will be very sparse in many games (plus he wants to hit the foreign markets)

Thinking about it - not finished thinking yet - he's right...

Many apps could sell in all markets with very minimal localization if they're easy enough to use. Maybe you've need a very basic list of words and phrases - Score, Game Over and some numbers, that type of thing...

You can explain well written apps with a demo - you don't need lots of text

I'm lucky enough to have multi-lingual friends so I can cover translation into many European and Asian languages

I'll compile a complete list of languages I personally can get translated by my friends for the new year

I like the idea, how can I help?

• Come up with common phrases or words that add value to the project
  • If you know a language we don't you can add it to the supported list
  • If you know a language we have translated you can check the translation

The aim of this concept is to provide decent set of words and phrases you can use in your project without having to hire professional translators

This is not the same as having a team take a load of text and giving it back to you in another language - it's a 'good enough' solution to allow you to release in other countries where they don't speak English

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!
Please use plain text.