Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
shammer64
My Device: Not Specified

Missing Images in Internet Browser Rendering

We are developing a simple web application targeted for the BB Storm 9530 for Verizon, running 4.7 software. Our home page contains a button bar composed of 8 images in a 2x4 grid.  The first 4 images render properly in the BlackBerry internet browser, however all images after the first 4 render as broken images. 

The symptom occurs on an actual BB Storm on Verizon service.  I can replicate it on a BB Pearl on AT&T service.  It does not occur in the BB Storm 9530 emulator, desktop browsers (IE, FireFox, Chrome, Safari) or the iPhone Safari browser.

There are 10 images between 1-13 Kb in size, total of 42 Kb in images, on page.  The total page load is 69 Kb, including HTML, images, CSS and scripts.

Any known issues with displaying a number of images on a page with the BB browser?  Any issues with upper limits on page or image size?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: Missing Images in Internet Browser Rendering

no limitation as far as I am aware, except maybe if your device lacks device memory (empty the cache...).
you can also try a battery pull on the real-life device.

does your webpage comply with HTML4 ? --> http://validator.w3.org/

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Developer
shammer64

I found some HTML 4 validation issues with our page source.  I'll make some corrections and retest.

We've dumped the cache several times with no luck.  I'll also try a battery pull.  I have doubts whether that will bear fruit since we are seeing the same issue on several different BlackBerries.

Thanks,

Scott

Please use plain text.
New Developer
shammer64

As a followup, I wanted to let board users know that we were unable to resolve the original issue.  As it turns out, our issue was not limited to image files, we had intermittent problems with CSS and JavaScript includes as well.  It seems that we were limited to some finite number of included files.

We had a workaround that worked for us in that we could combine 8 of our images into one and apply an imagemap; however, that has left us with other challenges such as an inability to swap out active vs inactive images.

The problem does not manifest with the BlackBerry Verison 9530 simulator.  Only on an actual BlackBerry 9530 on Verizon service.  I see similar issues with a BlackBerry Pearl on AT&T service.  Both devices are on BlackBerry 4.7 software.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

thank you for the feedback.
a a rule of thumb, I suggest you to limit the use of the browser agent ability (= relying on complex features of includes) and have your server deliver as less data as possible.

a CSS should not be more that 10 or 20 definitions for a smartphone webpage.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.