Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
TheMarco
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB

My Playbook app

Hey all,

My PlayBook app is almost done. I figured I'd post a demo link to see what you all think.

http://www.i-marco.nl/experiments/screamer1024/

Obviously you'll need to try this in a WebKit browser (Chrome or Safari) or it won't work right.

It's a very PLAYful app but after all... it's for the PlayBook :smileywink:

The app is a complete rework of one of my Palm Pre apps. I might submit it as a $0.99 app or maybe offer it for free. Hoping it will qualify for one of those free PlayBooks from RIM.

If there's any people with an actual real PlayBook let me know and I'll send you a .bar file if you want to try it. Would love to hear how it runs on the real deal.

Comments welcome.

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Developer
tags07
My Device: BB Style

Re: My Playbook app

Really kool app... It would be fun If I could hook it up to my Arduino and drive a real LED msg board...

Developer
TheMarco

Thanks! It's about to get better too. I have written a new display system that can render 8bit animations. I'm creating a bunch of them at the moment  Here's a demo (I created an animated gif of it for now but I have this working)

m.gif

I really can't wait to try all this on a real PlayBook because I have no idea what the performance is going to be on-device. I'll try it on an iPad tomorrow though to get some sort of a reference. I'm expecting the PlayBook to be faster than what I get on the iPad.

Developer
tags07

Wow sweet... 8-bit games on it would be awesome..I saw a video of pac-man playing on a led message board... very kool.

btw...you might want to fix the orientation to landscape..not sure how it would look in potrait mode.

Developer
TheMarco

Anyone know how I do that? (fix the orientation to landscape only).

Developer
tags07

using the search bar above and the text "landscape" you will find the following link:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-Development/Forcing-landscape-mode-with-WebWorks/m-p/8101...

Developer
tags07

I also had a few suggestions for you:

1. User interaction: It would be nice to have animations that react to user touch... example a moving ball that kind of explodes when the user touches it.

2. Another suggestion I had for you is to make the LED pixel density variable and configurable using the settings. That way you can even think of larger boards where you can play games etc..Thats probably going to slow things or may be not if you used some kind of asynchrounous updates to the LEDs that only updates a subsection of the LEDs each frame.

3. Ability to create new animations on the fly.. perhaps a simple 8x8 or 16x16 grid where users can fill in the blocks and save it as a static animation object. And be able to save the creations offline either as a text document on the Playbook or perhaps u can start a webservice where users can create their own animations and share it with others.

4. You can add ability to play music in the background..for example if i have the pac-man charecters scrolling, i want to listen to the pac-man music in the background.

There you go.. there is a lot of scope for expansion no doubt...