Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Native vs Webapp vs Hybrid - When consuming web services

Hi All,

Not a direct issue related to Blackberry though but related to Mobile World, a kind of thought process. We have seen lot of discussions going on Internet for Native vs Webapp specially after HTML5 specification came into picture.

We have seen some Cross Platform Development frameworks also. We have lot of options to choose from which sometimes might confuse a user what to use. So many technologies/platforms. I think that would depend upon what would suit the requirement (May not be 100% but may be close to that)

In case of Mobile app which would consume web services or totally dependent on web services would Webapp or Hybrid app be a better option compared to Native? What are your experiences?

I have posted this in Java forum also to invite views from Native developers. Here is the link. 

Please share your experiences.

Regards,

Sandeep

Developer

Re: Native vs Webapp vs Hybrid - When consuming web services

I guess this would depend upon few factors. I think Native app gives the speed as only data fetched from network/web services to populate data in UI where as Webapp would fetch every thing (even the UI, CSS, JS) over the Network which may not give good user experience especially on slow networks.

Webapp may give advantage of catering to more devices but has to be done smartly to fit UI to different device real estates.

Hybrid app - what I know accesses device capiblities through JavaScript e.g. Apache Cordova. But I have not used this and not sure how efficent this would be.

One instance, where Facebook scrapped their HTML5 app and went for Native App (for iOS)

Regards,

Sandeep

Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

It makes absolutely no difference if you're worried only about the performance of consuming web services, but it will make a huge difference depending on how the various vendors have implemented various HTML5 elements, what they give you access to via extensions and how complex is your app.

How well is HW accelerated CSS3 working?

How much memory is available to your app?

How limited is your access to the hardware features?

Do you need to do lots of DOM ops (very slow)?

etc.

Android is notoriously slow when scrolling lists

BB10 has unreliable timers, but good canvas performance

iOS has awesome performance, but you have a limited amount of memory to work with.

etc.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Developer
My Device: Z10

From my personal testing, I found a web app(Web Works) to be unreliable and difficult when trying to create a web-connected app. In my opinion, the SDKs, APIs and samples just aren't there yet. Cascades is a more mature project that has far utilities due to the QT community. I'd recommend going native for the time being. 

Follow me on twitter @RileyGB - https://twitter.com/RileyGB
View my BB10 OpenSource projects - https://github.com/RileyGB/BlackBerry10-Samples
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Bouygues Telecom

If the Webworks API has what you need, try to make a webworks app. If not, go native.
Going native may be harder because of the learning curve. But sometimes you need performance to make the user experience the better possible.
"one code runs well on all devices" is a dream but it's certainly easier to port a web app to other platforms because all supports HTML5/Javascript (some better than others).
You could also learn xcode/objective C, Java for Android, Java for BlackBerry, Cascades/QT/C++ for BB10... to target all the devices/platforms. Good luck !

Twitter : @LaurentKP
My apps
Developer

Yes I think it would depend and one would need to take a call.

That said I see BB10  not supporting Pure Java apps, I can see Java for Android Run time though. That would mean that pure Java apps developed on BB7 would not be forward compatible to BB10. Or may be RIM has a plan to have run time similar to Android runtime to enable run old Java apps on BB10. Doesn't seems to be a good sign.

Regards,

Sandeep