Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Regular Contributor
derekpapworth
My Device: 9700

Navigation mode - allow user to switch on/off?

Hi there,

In a Widget you can set it so that navigation mode is on or off but is it possible to switch this on/off from within a page by say javascript? I can't see a specific api to do so but it would be useful to be able to say add a menu item to allow the user to toggle it on or off or provide a button on the page maybe as some pages may be better with it on/off or even within a page to get to certain elements if the page wasn't prepared for navigation mode it would be useful to use one mode, switch it, use the other, switch back etc.

Derek

Regular Contributor
derekpapworth

Re: Navigation mode - allow user to switch on/off?

Anybody got any ideas on this one? Apart from the examples I mentioned already it would be useful to be able to toggle navigation mode on a page say where there was normal controls (input, select, etc) and say an embedded map for instance that needs mouse type navigation.

Does the fact there doesn't seem to be an API function to switch mode means it's just not possible? Hope not ..

Thanks,

Derek

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi Derek,

It is not possible to toggle back and forth between the focus based navigation mode and the pointer mode an a screen by screen basis.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Regular Contributor
derekpapworth

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reponse .. do you think this will be possible in the future at all? Is it something that others have asked about and hence maybe "on the list" of enhancements going forward?

As a possible workaround (I know doubtful) is there native API's that would allow this and hence by writing say a java extension this could be accomplished?

Thanks,

Derek

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi Derek,

We have actually steered away from allowing this functionality to help promote a consistent user interface in an application.  However we are always open to listen to what the community wants :smileyhappy:

I'm not sure how dynamic it could be made though....  The BrowserField2 Java class that is used to display the web content takes a configuration object that I believe is consumed in its constructor (I may be wrong here).. This configuration object contains the flags on what type of navigation could be used in the control..   But I believe the options must be loaded before loading in the web content that will be rendered.

It may not be able to be super dynamic considering the web content may have to be loaded again into the control.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter