Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

New API docs and Device Emulation!!!

Hi Everyone,

We're very happy to announce that our Gamma Release ( details near the middle of this page ) went live this morning.  This release's focus is improved API documentation.  It is new consolidated API docs for the PlayBook and smartphone platforms.  There are many new features in the API documents that should help out everyone including filters and API gap analysis tables.

You may also want to note that all of the source code for these API docs are available in our github repository.  This means that if there's a correction, example, link to learning material, or other APIs you wish to have documented, you can participate in the collaboration of these docs.

Also as part of the announcement, we now have added WebWorks emulation in the Ripple emulator which was part of the tinyHippos aquistion a little over a month ago.  Most of the WebWorks APIs are supported in the emulator and it will only get better from here :smileyhappy:

What does this mean?

It means you can open up chrome.. load the Ripple chrome plug-in and you are good to go for device emulation.  Just create a little local web server for your WebWorks application source and point chrome to the url.

No more packaging or simulator work until you need to test on the device!  Simply make an edit in your source code and press F5 to refresh your browser.

This is just the beginning of the evolution of the Ripple emulator... It will be eventually shedding its chrome plug-in cocoon and transforming into something even more powerful... But what fun would it be if we spilled the beans on these details now :smileyhappy:

Stay tuned for more updates on our plans for the Ripple emulator!

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
miamon
My Device: Red BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: New API docs and Device Emulation!!!

Awesome!! Thanks RIM :smileyhappy:

Josep Maria
Please use plain text.
Contributor
_MARIO_
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone Spain

Thanks RIM!...

This looks like pretty cool stuff :-)

Please use plain text.
Developer
interfaSys
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

Congrats on the new docs. Much better than the previous effort. Very useful to see what we can use when targetting multiple device types.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Thanks! We have a few more tweaks coming to the docs. In the mass conversion there were a few filter tags that were wrong and a couple extra pieces of information we wanted to add.

Those changes should be coming soon. You'll also see in github that we have started creating branches for the scheduled releases so you can get a sneak peek at what the new APIs will look like

https://github.com/blackberry/WebWorks-API-Docs
Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
interfaSys
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

I see that the cookbook hasn't been release yet and I have one request:

Make it so that comments are compatible with the Closure Compiler (externs). It's not that important for Webworks, but if people take this as the way to comment their webworks apps, it will make it easier for them down the line to compile their apps using CC.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Please use plain text.