Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: 3, Orange, Vodafone

Next version of WebWorks Feature Request(s)

Having just reaf MSohm's blog entry on the demise of signing keys this remark stood out...

Support in the BlackBerry WebWorks SDK will be coming in its next release.

I'm just thinking that it might be a good idea to add a few of our own ideas to what we get rather than what we're simply provided with.

I'll set the ball rolling with a nice limited appeal one...

Request : Can the packager have be extended to include extensions of the type device-debug

Reason : At the moment you have only device or simulator builds possible. An extension can have debug-specific code that can be excluded from the production build of the extension by the judictious just of #ifdef (is there a pre-defined #define for debug?)

Example Use : I've added basic logging to extensions which proves highly useful when something doesn't do what you expect it do - just stick on a logging line and you can find out that was going on inside an extension (impossible otherwise). This doesn't want to be in a release build.

Note : While the JS interface for this example would still exist the returns woulld be empty as the #ifdef stuff would remove the functionality

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Next version of WebWorks Feature Request(s)

[ Edited ]

Here is my top-10:

1. remove dependancy on Ripple for desktop browser use. WebWorks should work in plain Chrome and degrade gracefully. Simulated "stub" functions or objects would be nice;

2. allow manual framework loading (requireJS) and initialization (e.g. webworks.init(function(..) {...}); )

3. package webworks version with app, don't expect to be loaded from the device (so we can fix bugs and include a custom version);

4. ability to build just for device; don't always build for simulator;

5. ability to test which permissions were granted/refused/revoked by the user;

6. ability ot get device name (Z10/Q10/Q5 etc) and device model (STL100-1, -2, -3 etc);

7. don't waste resources running 3 webkit instances per app;

8. less convoluted, more direct, more performant extension mechanism. Just load extensions and allow them to exend Webkit directly instead of jumping through hoops with the (now defunct) JNEXT. Just use NPAPI, like the rest of the world;

9. ability to test whether downloaded from BB World or sideloaded;

10. headless apps.
Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: 3, Orange, Vodafone

Re: Next version of WebWorks Feature Request(s)

(6) is almost there as part of an extension anzor_b wrote

It gives model but not subtype

There are some new APIs that give better info in 10.2

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!