Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
supraking
My Device: Not Specified

No Rotation in Webworks app -- BB10 Dev Alpha

Hey all,

I'm new to Webworks development, so please bare with me here... I've got a simple photo gallery application up and running, basically just two panes, one that displays thumbnails across the top (side scrollable) and one that displays the image in the center. On click, the image enlarges and can be pinch-zoomed and manipulated.

The problem occurs when trying to change the orientation within the app. It simply doesn't rotate. The config file is set to orientation:auto and if I LAUNCH the app in one orientation or the other, the app remains in that orientation regardless of device orientation.

Any ideas on whether I need to enable some kind of specific functionality in my app? Detect the orientation change and rotate my content? I imagine this should be handled automatically (like on a webpage in the browser) and I shouldn't have to manipulate the code (unless I want the layout to change).

Or, is this a device-specific (i.e. bb10 dev alpha) issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Please use plain text.
Developer
Rcjuk
My Device: N/A

Re: No Rotation in Webworks app -- BB10 Dev Alpha

Think this may be a dev alpha issue unless I've missed something. Ported a normal webworks app over (which works fine when you switch orientation) and it no longer rotates on the alpha.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Hi supraking. this behavior is a current limitation of the Dev Alpha (keyword - Alpha :smileywink: ) product.  It will be fixed and you will be able to rotate your WebWorks applications to both portrait and landscape orientation.

There really should be a defect assigned for this, and I'm not seeing one listed in the framework repo (I think one just hasn't been filed yet).

Would you like to contribute your feedback by filing a bug here?  https://github.com/blackberry/BB10-WebWorks-Framework/issues

Otherwise I can do it - but wanted to offer you a chance to participate in the open source project first.

Best,

Adam

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Please use plain text.
Developer
supraking
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks for the info all, I figured it was likely a device/software limitation. You go ahead and file it, thanks!
Please use plain text.
Administrator
astanley

You can follow this issue here:

https://github.com/blackberry/BB10-WebWorks-Framework/issues/88

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
superfly_fr
My Device: 9900 / PB 2.0641
My Carrier: SFR

[ Edited ]

Adam, is there a way we can force orientation to portrait/landscape ?

The rim: orientation element seems ineffective.

I believe this is related ?

Or there's something wrong in my config.xml ?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<widget xmlns="http://www.w3.org/ns/widgets" xmlns:rim="http://www.blackberry.com/ns/widgets" version="1.0.0.5"  id="LLRL" xml:lang="en">
	<author href="http://www.xyz.com/" rim:copyright="Copyright 2012-2013 xyz">xyz</author>
	<name>LLRL beta</name>
	<description>
    	Practice your memory and your thumbs agility.
	</description>

<rim:orientation mode="landscape" />
	<rim:navigation mode="focus" />
	<rim:loadingScreen backgroundcolor="#000000" />
	<rim:category name="games" />

<icon src="images\menu\icon3.png" />
	<content src="index.htm"/>

<feature id="blackberry.identity" required="true" />
	<feature id="blackberry.push" required="true" />
	<feature id="blackberry.system" required="true" />
	<feature id="blackberry.app" required="true" />
</widget>

Please use plain text.
Administrator
astanley

You are correct, the rim:smileysurprised:rientation element currently is not recognized by the BB10 SDK (it is supported by the Tablet OS SDK).  As I understand it, that will be enabled and working correctly in the next version of the BB10 WebWorks SDK release.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
superfly_fr
My Device: 9900 / PB 2.0641
My Carrier: SFR

Thank you Adam.

Please use plain text.