Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
larturo
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Claro - Republica Dominicana
Accepted Solution

Noob in need of help

I have no background in developing, I'm just introducing my self to it and doing so with webworks. I have a couple of issues and was wondering if somebody would kind enough to help me with them.

1. The most crucial one is with the debug token. When I try to package my app with the debug token I created I get an error: "The debug token pathname provided does not point to a file". Trust me I've checked and rechecked the path name and it's written down correctly, the debug token was successfully created. The path is also the correct one. I'm using a mac btw.

2. Can we use the advertising api with the playbook?

3. Can the ads api and bbm api be added to our apps using  a mac? (the examples only show a windows based system)

4. How can I keep the footer at the bottom of the page regardless of the amount of content the page has?(without having it fixed)

Any help will be appreciated, thx in advanced. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
twindsor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Noob in need of help

1. Do you have the full path? Mine is Windows, but this is the line in my bbwp.properties file:

<debug_token>C:\Users\twindsor\Documents\Signing Keys\DebugToken3.bar</debug_token>

You may find the BlackBerry Graphical Tool of great use with Debug Tokens. I use it all the time:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Testing-and-Deployment/BlackBerry-Tablet-OS-Graphical-Aid/ta-...

2. The Ad SDK is not yet on PlayBook, though it's being worked on.

3. BBM is also not on PlayBook, but on the roadmap. These APIs should be usable on Mac for a Smartphone app though. They are really just Jars that need to be built into your application.

4. If you want to do work with headers and/or footers I would highly recommend using bbUI.js, as it's highly optimized for mobile and BlackBerry specifically.

https://github.com/blackberry/bbUI.js

Tim Windsor
Application Development Advisor II
Please use plain text.
Contributor
larturo

Thank you so very much. I thought nobody was gonna reply to my call for help LOL. After taking a look at your post I went ahead and gave the ads sdk a try and it worked, again, thank you for that, haven't tried with the bbm sdk as of yet.

I already had the graphical tool installed but never occurred to my to try it out (d'oh). That been said, this tool also shows an error (sdk path is incorrect, I ran the configuration wizard), but I can live w/o this tool, I can just keep using the command line, but thank you for reminding me it's there and it's def easier than typing all of those commands into the command line, less room for errors.

In regards to the debug token I've tried everything to no avail, idk what else to do. I've tried the full path, using the "~" key and nothing.

So, can I sign a PB app and install it on my PB for testing? Or it has to be compile with a debug token for testing?

I'll definitely take a look at bbUI.js

Please use plain text.
twindsor

You don't need to use a Debug Token. It just makes it easier to develop. If you sign the application you can test and install. 

Can you post your line that describes your debug token location and I'll see if someone who's more of an expert with debug tokens and Mac's can suggest anything?

Tim Windsor
Please use plain text.
Contributor
larturo

Tim you are very helpful

This is the path I'm using right now:

<debug_token>~/Documents/DebugToken/debug_token.bar</debug_token>

I've also used this one:

<debug_token>Users/luiscalderon/Documents/DebugToken/debug_token.bar</debug_token>

This wasn't the location where the debug token was created. I created this folder then cuted and pasted the token here. So maybe I shouldn't have moved the token?

Please use plain text.
twindsor

Try

<debug_token>/Users/luiscalderon/Documents/DebugToken/debug_token.bar</debug_token>

I don't have a Mac, but the path needs to be a fully qualified path and I don't think it can support the ~ shortcut.

Tim Windsor
Please use plain text.
Contributor
larturo

Tim once again to the rescue. This is the solution to my debug token issue. I can't thank you enough. Now the graphical aid app is working as it should and all thanks to you my friend. Now on to work with some issues I'm having with bbUI :smileyvery-happy: 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
fgoyti
My Carrier: Bell Canada

Why is it not documented ANYWHERE that the Ad SDK is not available for the Playbook!? I just wasted 2 hours trying to get this working and figuring why it won't compile, until I just found this
Please use plain text.
Contributor
larturo

If you're having issues compiling your app with the playbook's WebWorks SDK while having ads in your app, you probably pasted the blackberry.advertising folder in the playbook's bbwp/ext folder. Just erase the blackberry.advertising folder (in case you pasted it) from the playbook's bbwp/ext folder and try compiling your app again. Your ads will probably display but most likely you'll run into some issues while running your app. Hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
fgoyti
My Carrier: Bell Canada

Yes, I removed all the advertising code and I'm back to where I was.  I just wish in the WebWorks documentation, it would have said "only compatible with webworks for smartphones, NOT tablets".  

I had a suspicion it wouldn't work, as the extension is in java format, not javascript. 

Anyway... I really do hope they improve the webworks documentation in general.

Please use plain text.