Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: Bold 9900, 9810, 9780, 9650 and so many others
Accepted Solution

PAP Push versus RIM Push

OK so I have been reading the Browser development guide and noticed that RIM supports both PAP push and RIM's own implementation of Push. To me they seem to do the same thing. Both support Cache, Channel push as well as cancellation and status requests. The only difference that I can see is that PAP Push uses XML while RIM's push does not.

Can anyone comment as to why we should choose one over the other.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Re: PAP Push versus RIM Push

The features are very similar.  It mainly depends on whether you'd prefer to use HTTP headers or XML when creating the push.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: PAP Push versus RIM Push

Dear Mark,

According to Blackberry Java Environment Development Guide, the push storage between RIM push and PAP is different. RIM pushes are stored in RAM whereas PAP pushes are stored in a database. As a developer, if i choose to use PAP, do I need to consider the database operation such as purging old push data. Also, I would like to learn more about the transport mechanism between Blackberry Enterprise Server and Blackberry Client. How Blackberry Enterprise Server to grantee the pushed content can deliver to Blackberry Client. Thanks.

Andy