Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
eblade
My Device: PlayBook

Packaging tools stopped working mysteriously

After having not packaged anything for about 3 weeks, I went to do some updates to my app (let's see if the store can keep versions correct now?), but I can't get it packaged and loaded.  Nothing has changed about my Tablet SDK or my Java install.

F:\src\gvoice\blackberry\app>"c:\program files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry WebWorks SDK for TabletOS 2.2.0.5-2\bbwp\bbwp" f:\src\gvoice\bin\blackberry\gvbb.zip -o f:\src\gvoice\bin\blackberry\tablet -d
[INFO] Parsing command line options
[INFO] Parsing bbwp.properties
[INFO] Validating WebWorks archive
[INFO] Parsing config.xml
[INFO] Populating application source
[INFO] Compiling WebWorks application Error occurred during initialization of VM java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object
[INFO] Packaging the bar file java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Local\Temp\widgetGen.14355998981343204550323.tmp\gvbb.swf (The system cannot find the file specified) at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method) at java.io.FileInputStream.(Unknown Source) at net.rim.tumbler.file.FileManager.copyFile(FileManager.java:481) at net.rim.tumbler.airpackager.AirPackager.run(AirPackager.java:232) at net.rim.tumbler.WidgetPackager.go(WidgetPackager.java:152) at net.rim.tumbler.WidgetPackager.main(WidgetPackager.java:77)
[ERROR] Air Packager exception occurred

No idea what's going on.

Help?  I tried each of my 7 different regular Java installs as well as the one that came with the SDK. (yay mobile development *grr) .. and I tried installing a fresh copy of the SDK, as well as the AIR SDK.  No love from any of them, and the only change is if I specify a 64-bit Java, then it crashes out earlier.  Using a 32-bit Java, it crashes at the same point all the time.

Retired
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Packaging tools stopped working mysteriously

Did the location of the Adobe AIR folder change?

Did you recently upgrade Java on your machine - curious if you have Windows UAC causing problems?  If so, can you make sure that java.exe is running with the right priveledges ("run as administrator") ?

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Developer
eblade

I made no changes to Java or AIR.  The WebWorks installer makes it's own copy of both Java and the AIR SDK, and neither of them have changed.  I did fresh install WebWorks into a new folder, again with it's own copy of AIR and Java, and it does the same thing.  Unless the AIR SDK auto updated itself, somehow or other, then i have no idea .. perhaps i've updated my AIR runtime. and I have upgraded my Java runtime, but WebWorks should be using it's own copies, and I haven't changed the SDKs at all.

Developer
eblade

Any further ideas?  I've fresh installed the entire setup, and the problem remains.

Retired
astanley

Make sure that bbwp.exe is running with admin priveledges.  Looking at the error closely, it seems that it cannot find a generated file.  This could be the case if Windows has blocked bbwp from creating its temp data files.

Otherwise, can you confirm that any of the file references declared inside your config.xml file are all correct?  Have the targets for the icon, loadingScreen or content elements changed even in the slightest?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer
eblade

config.xml hasn't changed other than version number. I had attempted to change the app name at the same time, as I'm rebranding my app, but changing it back didn't fix.

Virtually identical error occurs when attempting to repackage an app that hasn't changed in the slightest, in months.

The same error occurs when attempting to use the phone WebWorks packager, as well.

Tablet:

C:\Users\Eric\RippleSites\xo>"c:\program files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry WebWorks SDK for TabletOS 2.2.0.5\bbwp\bbwp" c:\users\eric\ripplesites\xo\xobb.zip -o c:\temp\xobb -d
[INFO] Validating WebWorks archive
[INFO] Compiling WebWorks application
[INFO] Packaging the bar file
Error occurred during initialization of VM
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

Phone:

C:\Users\Eric\RippleSites\xo>"c:\program files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry WebWorks SDK 2.3.1.5\bbwp" c:\users\eric\ripplesites\xo\xobb.zip -o c:\temp\xobb -d
[INFO] Validating application archive
[INFO] Compiling BlackBerry WebWorks application
Error occurred during initialization of VM
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object
[ERROR] RAPC exception occurred

Unfortunately, I know pretty much nothing about Java, other than that it's a great way to break things. :smileyhappy:

Developer
eblade

also, I would attempt to use the BB 10 tools, but the BB 10 tools won't package the app successfully at all due to missing or moved components, and the new requirements in the "widget" section which will force me to not update to the BB 10 tools, since it forces an application ID change, and that's not acceptable.
Retired
astanley

Ok, from a command prompt, can you type "java -version"?  It should display "java version '1.6.0_29' "  (or something similar).

Next:

Can you confirm that the version  being recognized is 32-bit java, not 64 ?  If it is 64, you need to have the 32 bit installed, and make sure the PATH variable points to that.  

Finally:

Make sure that java.exe can run with admin permissions.  bbwp.exe calls java.exe so both need to execute with the right priveledges otherwise failures may happen.

Don't give up!  Environmental problems like this are tough to explain because everyone's machine is different, but we'll figure it out ...

Developer
eblade

i can't give up, i have an app to support :smileytongue:

java -version reports 1.7.0_05. java.exe is running from the 32-bit install, although it seems to be deciding that it's going to run the 64-bit version anyway, as watching process monitor when i start it, starts up the 64-bit, as well. i'm going to uninstall all my java installations here and just install a 32-bit current version, and see what happens.

Developer
eblade

[ Edited ]

well, uninstalling all copies of Java, including the ones that came with the WebWorks SDK and the Android SDK, then just installing the 32-bit 1.7.0_05 seemed to